Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Dad had a kind of trading post gun shop from '50s to '76. It was amongst some rent property he had and set it up for a kind of hangout to keep an eye on things. One day an old man brought this in wanting $15 for it. Several people have shown interest in it and I'm wondering what it might sell for. I'm not trying to set a price record nor am I much of a philanthropist. It is not marked for caliber so I assume it is a .44 M&H. No sample rounds I have fit. Function is good, bore is pretty good, no sign of any faults or bubba attention. Comments, estimates, guestimates, advice and conversation welcomed. :D:D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
No idea what it is actually worth but I know I want one....:)

Blue book reads $2800 for a 90%, and $1800 for an 80% gun.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you really want top dollar, put in on Gunbroker with lots of quality, close up photos, start the price at a penny and have no reserve. Be sure to start the listing on a Fri, Sat, or Sun night around 8pm central time. I have received prices on quality firearms like your M&H at 3 times the Blue Book values. Not many people understand how huge the audience is for guns like your when they're listed online. Hundreds, if not thousands of people interested in spending money on a gun like yours are out there and the online auctions (Gunbroker being the largest) are where those people are looking around.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's worth at least 2000 if it locks up tight.I used to collect MH's ,but most of the large frame are listed and relisted many times on GB without a bid.I track these regularly.Since the market is limited,I wouldn't do a penny auction on this model or you may really get stuck. Start your price at the minimum you will accept with no reserve. If it was an 1800's Colt or S&W,I would agree with the penny approach. JMHO

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies. The Merwin is on my list to trim my collection but not just yet. I have an offer of 2500 I'm thinking about. I'm up to speed on the auction scene for buying quite a few pieces. Rather sell one-on-one but here in small town OK the right buyers are scarce. Thanks again. To be continued --->

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Last year I bought one just like yours except mine has ugly fake stags on it that came off something else originally. I beleive I paid $1700 for it. Don't know what kind of deal that was, but I liked it a lot. Functions perfectly but "suction" is gone. I think $2500 wouldn't be too bad, but I don't follow these much at all...

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Robert,
I'm sorely tempted to take a drive north some day to meet you, drool over your wares and smile all the way back to Texas. Unfortunately I'm on a short leash being the caretaker of the ranch and it's 14 animals...and the wife might wonder where I got off to....:)

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please do! I live at the address where I was born. Next door, formerly my Mother's house, renovated has my office and rest of it our 'free hotel' when we have visitors. The latch string is out.

We might be able to think of something to talk about, look at a few guns and consider an adult (or other) beverage.

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
1,943 Posts
I can highly recommend a visit to rhmc24's home. My wife and I were fortunate to make a short visit last year. Robert is one of the most interesting men I have met. His knowledge goes right along with his skills. He is amazing. Make the trip and meet a real honest to goodness gentleman.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Thats a heck of a nice Merwin. I'd say worth at least $2000 but maybe more.
I think there there is a youtube video somewhere of Randy Quaid with one just like that. I think Wyatt Burp posted it a long time ago.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would guesstimate the value of your Merwin at $1800-2200 (about the same as everyone else did)

If the chambers are bored straight through yours may be .44 M&H, actualy that cal. was fairly scarce. 44/40 was much more common.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts