Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And no deposits returned.
Unfortunately, a lotta people lost a lotta money out of Michael Blank's fiasco.
Denis

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think there's much "might" about it.
The sister brands he was trying to float apparently started seriously crumbling in the Fall.
Sizable money lost in several directions & at least two states, South Dakota & Wyoming.

Couple people are trying to re-structure the New Sharps Rifle Company and to keep going, but it's a mess & there's no particular reason to believe it'll be any more successful than the previous endeavors. I doubt they'll be able to find sufficient investors.
All of Blank's umbrella companies declared insolvent.

More info on The HighRoad.org, if permissable to mention it here.
Denis

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"...re-launch...over the next three to five years..."

The sun shines bright.
Birds sing, flowers bloom, balmy breezes gently waft, puppies frolic, ice cream cones all round, a whole new world lies before us.

Many new words. A NEW website!
Golly, I am SO relieved.
Putting the house up for sale tomorrow so I can order a dozen.... :)

Anybody who bought in once should definitely buy in twice. No stampedes though- let's keep this orderly. Line forms in Glenrock, Wyoming, be there or be square. :D
Denis

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
So the original "contributors" (buyers) are screwed ?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
DPris, when you get there will you keep me a place in the line? I know I am not allowed to own these pistols over here but I figure if I buy a dozen from the first batch maybe I can make a profit. :D Or maybe you could put down the deposit on a dozen for me when you sell your house? I can promise that I'll keep you posted every couple of months as to how I'm coming along with getting the money to you! I'll even send you a photograph or two of a few dollar bills I've knocked up. You do trust me don't you?

Seriously, I have a friend who could have knocked up those frames in his workshop in a quarter of the time it took those guys. I just don't believe they could waffle on for so long, knowing they weren't really going anywhere. From a personal point of view it matters little as I would not be allowed to own those pistols anyway, but it's a hard lesson for those who trusted them with their hard earned cash. If you paid by credit card is there no course of action from the card company?

Rio

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mitch,
The new promises which replace the old promises say old orders will be filled first (which I, for one, would certainly take to the bank), but NO REFUNDS on deposits made to the Blank version of the "company".

Rio,
Of course I trust you! You have a very honest face. :D

Denis

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
So the original "contributors" (buyers) are screwed ?
Yes, evidently we are. I'm only out the "deposit" of $250, so don't feel too bad. I've wasted more on less; and there was plenty of warning out there beforehand.

Still like to have one (shooting copy of the Merwin revolver); the only Merwin I've ever seen and actually handled had a price tag of $11K +, ie I don't think he wanted to sell it all that bad.

rayb

Reactions: longranger

·
Registered
355 Posts
And no deposits returned.
Unfortunately, a lotta people lost a lotta money out of Michael Blank's fiasco.
Denis
I received a refund check from Merwin Hulbert. It came in the mail yesterday. Actually the check is from the Sharps Rifle Company of Glenrock, WY. Here is the letter that came with the check:

P1140946.jpg

Besides the deposit, I had given the New Merwin Hulbert Co. full payment for a revolver and extra barrel, so I was out more than most folks. But hey, back in January 2011 when the nice lady called me up and said they would be shipping in a few weeks, it seemed reasonable that they would want payment.

I had pretty much given up on seeing a gun or that money again, so when I read that the Broadsword Group was intending to make good on the MH deposits I was skeptical. Then a few weeks ago I received a registered letter asking to verify that the information on my invoice was correct. And today the check showed up. Color me pleasantly surprised.

Hopefully the check is good, because as soon as I opened the envelope and saw the check I went and hit "Buy It Now" on a Smith & Wesson K-32 that I had been watching on Gunbroker.

Interesting that they are still holding out hope that someone ("...a company with a long history of success in firearm reproductions.") will build a new MH. Even though I have since bought an original .44-40 MH I could still be interested in a newly built one, made using modern materials. No more deposits though; fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice - we won't get fooled again, YEEAAAAHHHHHHH.

aaknc6.jpg

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tom,

Your letter is dated June 3, 2012. If your check has the same date no bank will cash it. It will be considered a "stale" check. Better check the date on your refund.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.