Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While browsing an old gun book from 1972 that I have I noticed a Colt revolver by the above name. Says it is .38 Special with a price of $115. Says it was available as service or target grade. Never heard of this one before, what is it? Must not have been around long.

A Diamondback has a price of $135 and the Python is $190. Where did those days go?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Metropolitan. MK.III J frame gun with the coil spring. It was the same as the Official Police Mk.III,except it came with a Heavy "Bull Barrel"(non tapered) 4" only. Target Hammer & larger stocks on 1 version,service stocks & regular hammer on the other. Weight; 36 0z. Same gun in .357 mag. was the Lawman.Official Police MkIII,went 2 oz. less in the 4" "standard barrel. VERY FEW of these fixed sighted J frames were produced(Colt's ill fated move to recapture police sales from S&W and the new kid on the block,Ruger!),yet they aren't in demand by collectors,and can generally be had for $250,or less,here in N.E. My crystal ball says they will be "collector items"----in 25 years! Bud

·
Registered
794 Posts
Excellent and accurate explanation Bud! For a guy who admittedly doesn't much care for the J-frames you know your stuff.

I think the one bad experience you had with the J-frames deserves another chance. In another post you mentioned your affection for the Smith N frame. Maybe part of the appeal that may lead you back to the Colt J-frame is the similarity of timing between the N-frame and the J-frame. Simply put the J-frame Colts timing/lock up more like what you expect from a Smith.

I have a close buddy who posts a lot on the Smith forum. He is extremely knowledgeable and the best shot I have ever run across. He has always hated the late timing typical of most older Colts. Once I introduced him to the Colt J-frame he said: "Oh here's a Colt with good timing!" All it took was one trip to the range shooting a Trooper MKIII. He now probably owns 4 or 5 of them!

He has stated numerous times on the Smith forum and to anyone who will listen, that he believes the Colt J-frame is a much better gun than our beloved Python. I believe mainly because the Colt J-frame has Smith type timing. Yes he owns a complement of Python, Diamondback, 1917, many D-frames, and others, but of all his Colts he likes the J-frames.

And if I was pressured for an answer, I'd probably say that I also like the Smith timing (Colt J-frames) better than my other Colts. And I whole heartedly agree that for the most part the J-frames do not demonstrate the same level of fit and finish as some of our favorites. (Dferris explained why in a post perhaps a year or so back). But all in all I believe the Colt J-frames are good solid guns that will do their job and do it well.

joed, I hope you don't think I was trying to hijack your thread. That was not my intent.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I don't mind at all. Just wanted to know what that gun was as I've never heard of it before.

Wish I understood the Colt frame sizes better though.

·
Registered
794 Posts
joed, here is a link to a previous thread that will help you to understand some of the frame designations for DA revolvers.
http://www.unitedforums.com/forums/gunforums/cf/Forum7/HTML/000307.html

If I might suggest, go & buy the Numrich Gun Parts catalog. It lumps many of the Colts by frame sizes.

Among other things, this catalog is a great reference book for parts and exploded views and such.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 12-10-2004).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts