Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Does any one know if Colt ever made a 1911 pistol in 9mm 0r 38 Super that was used/issued by any Military anywhere in the world?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
I don't think so.

The .38 Super was popular in countries like Mexico, where "military calibers" were forbidden to civilians.

There are occasional modern Colt-made 1911's that turn up in odd calibers like 9mm Steyr, for the same reason, that military calibers are banned in some European countries.

There were, of course a wide variety of Spanish and other makes of 1911 TYPE pistols made and used by various militaries over the years.
The Star pistols in particular are near copies of the Colt.

As for Colt actually making a foreign contract 9mm or .38 Super, it's not likely, but never say never with Colt.

As far as I know, the only foreign contract Colt 1911 autos were the Argentine version in .45 ACP, of which the very early ones were actually produced in the US, until a production plant could be built in Argentina.

·
Registered
959 Posts
What about the Norweigan (spelling) 1911's? I believe they were called the 1914 in that country. Had a strange shaped slide release, supposedly for gloved hand use.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The Norwegian model was marked "11.25 mm" which is .45 cal.

God Jul! (Merry Christmas) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts