Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When dad passed he left my brother and me just a handful of firearms, some that we had bought for him. However, while looking through some forums I came upon a thread about the canvas holster. I went to the closet and got the canvas holster out and, sure enough, somewhere along the line he bought the holster or an uncle that served as an acft navigator while stationed on a carrier in WW II gave it to him with the 1911 pistol (manufactured 1917). Is the holster really that rare? Is this the proverbial "barn find" for me?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not looking for authenticity. It is the Mills with the dates stamped on the bottom brass. It is not for a revolver. I suppose it did come with the 1911 from Dad's uncle. What I want to know is how rare is the Mills canvas for the 1911? I saw one post for sale that was obviously a while back on some forum for close to $2K. I found one article that suggested only 700 or so were made. I just ordered Meadows book of holsters and cartridge boxes from amazon (used). Perhaps there is a good write up in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dfariswheel. It would appear there are slight deviations to the holsters on the web. Maybe Meadow's book can shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Like this one? This is the model sent to Canada when they bought the Government Models from Colt. The Canadian government bought the entire rig for the Colt including the holster, belt, magazine pocket, and I believe shoulder strap.

This one is dated 1914.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To JohnnyP, I have assumed from the U.S. forces. Maybe not but here is another picture. My Meadow's reference book should be arriving this week. I really appreciate your msg and insight! You certainly appear to have quite a bit of knowledge. Look forward to reading more of your posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
There were differences in the Mills canvas holsters. Does your holster have a belt loop on the back (it appears to) in addition to the belt hooks?

The USMC tested the Mills holsters, and as with everything military it is hard to get them to change. The troops liked the canvas holsters because they dried much quicker than leather when wet, but there was opposition to the holsters because of their fraying and showing dirt and grease.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate your perspective on it. I had no idea what I have been moving with me from three different locations over the last several decades! I think I have the original grips somewhere for the 1911. Actually, I looked again for the serial number series and it seems it was a 1918 manufactured colt. There were about 350K made if I read it right. I am really glad I found this forum and you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts