Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
in Germany next month. One of the best, if not the finest, collection of this type in the world...

(Warning: Viewing this catalogue may cause feelings of lust, inadequacy, delirium and delusional fantasies about selling the house, wife, children and family dog to finance the purchase of one or more items from this collection)

Die Sammlung Binker

·
Registered
402 Posts
wow. more than impressive

Serious question here...if you live in the US and were to purchase one of these, would the firearm require an import stamp? And if so, what effect would that have on the value of the gun?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Man I can't even begin to imagine the headaches associated with buying a gun from Europe. I'm sure someone here has done it. I noticed they have to censor the swastika on Nazi stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
wow. more than impressive

Serious question here...if you live in the US and were to purchase one of these, would the firearm require an import stamp? And if so, what effect would that have on the value of the gun?
There's a complicated "points" system to determine if a piece can be imported so that would be the first step - make sure it can actually be imported to the US.

You used to be able to import by yourself on an FFL-03, don't know if that's still possible. But LOTS of paperwork and you really need to know what you're doing. In that case no import mark required since it's not through an FFL-08. IIRC there was a limit on the number per year, like 6 maybe?

From the catalog, the auction house works with MMB Imports ("MMB Imports, LLC"), which is a very good company in MD. They use the smallest and most discrete laser marks they can, and hide them as best they legally can. I believe they also work with you as to where the marks will be placed. While not ideal (or cheap), it won't hurt the value anywhere near as much as the drunken monkey marks of CAI, PW, etc. Anyway, they have a great reputation and several collector buddies have been quite happy with their services.

The pieces from the Sturgess collection imported by Simpson didn't seem to be affected by their discrete mark, and there were some super rare things there like Walther AP's, etc.

Smile Rectangle Font Circle Paper

·
Registered
503 Posts
Regarding the points system, PPKs and PPs got banned from future import into the USA following the passage of the GCA in 1968. This is why Walther started making the PPK/S. Also, you cannot re-import a made in the USA colt python with a 2 1/2 inch barrel as it does not have the requisite number of points. This doesn’t make sense to me as the gun was made in America and exported and I don’t understand why you can’t bring it back

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
This doesn’t make sense to me as the gun was made in America and exported and I don’t understand why you can’t bring it back
"Logic" and American gun laws rarely belong in the same sentence.

·
Registered
402 Posts
There's a complicated "points" system to determine if a piece can be imported so that would be the first step - make sure it can actually be imported to the US.

You used to be able to import by yourself on an FFL-03, don't know if that's still possible. But LOTS of paperwork and you really need to know what you're doing. In that case no import mark required since it's not through an FFL-08. IIRC there was a limit on the number per year, like 6 maybe?

From the catalog, the auction house works with MMB Imports ("MMB Imports, LLC"), which is a very good company in MD. They use the smallest and most discrete laser marks they can, and hide them as best they legally can. I believe they also work with you as to where the marks will be placed. While not ideal (or cheap), it won't hurt the value anywhere near as much as the drunken monkey marks of CAI, PW, etc. Anyway, they have a great reputation and several collector buddies have been quite happy with their services.

The pieces from the Sturgess collection imported by Simpson didn't seem to be affected by their discrete mark, and there were some super rare things there like Walther AP's, etc.

View attachment 806098
Thanks for the clear and robust response!

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
Regarding the points system, PPKs and PPs got banned from future import into the USA following the passage of the GCA in 1968. This is why Walther started making the PPK/S. Also, you cannot re-import a made in the USA colt python with a 2 1/2 inch barrel as it does not have the requisite number of points. This doesn’t make sense to me as the gun was made in America and exported and I don’t understand why you can’t bring it back
Didn't the Walther PP qualify for import, but the shorter barrel/slide and grip of the PPK ban it?

·
Registered
10,788 Posts
Yes.

The point system also added points for adjustable sights - (Browning, Beretta and others), thumbrest grips - (Walther, Beretta, Browning and more) and OAL height/length - that's why there suddenly were more finger-rest magazines.

It did give us the Walther PPK/S - a 'very' usable pistol - and almost as smallas the PPK, but it turned out that that didn't really matter.

·
Registered
299 Posts
They use Euros in Germany …not sure what the reference to Deutschmarks is ?
ahhhhhhh, my bad, I had no clue the deutchmark bit the dust, I'm not up on European currencies, it look like the Euro is nearly 1 to 1 with the dollar.........

·
Registered
299 Posts
Lol, I assumed this was some sort of joke, since they haven't used the Deutsche Mark for over 20 years now. And yes, this is a good time to visit Europe, your dollar will go far there right now compared to just a few years ago.
no, no joke, I wasn't aware the Euro replaced the dmark, do the Brits still have their pound sterling and the French their francs?

·
Registered
299 Posts
After Brexit, the Brits do pretty much what they want :)
Now they have to reissue all their currency with Charles on it though.
Ahhhhhh, interesting, totally off topic but the Queen had style and class imho, the Brits would do better to leave her on their money and put Charles on a a postage stamp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts