Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MInt Colt Officer\'s Target 32 in Box

Happy to bring a sweet Colt to the table, but I need some help. I've just picked up one and whould like a date of Man. and a value. S# is 6507** with a V below the S#. It has a heavy slightly tapered 6" bbl,patridge front sight LNIB with just a touch of wear at the very end of the bbl.,grips are perfect as is 98% of the blueing...41

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: MInt Colt Officer\'s Target 32 in Box

Hi there 41. Welcome to the forum. And it looks like you have brought a pretty nice gun to table all right!

Your OMT was made in 1941. Don't pay any attention to the V under the S/N. It is only an inspectors mark.

Pricing on this model can be all over the place. I've see guys ask the Bluebook prices but I never see any sell for that. Condition is the biggest factor in the pricing of this particular gun and yours sounds virtually immaculate. You also have the added kicker of getting a vintage box included as part of the deal. So factor that into your equation. Some will say that the 32 being a less common caliber bumps up the price also.

But when all is said and done, the price you paid is what it's worth. There is no way you got that gun for $350 unless you held up the seller or he was a relative. But on the other hand you'd have to really be in love with that gun to pay $700.

So there you have one of the most evasive answers to your question of its value. All any of us can really do without actually seeing the gun is take an educated or SWAG at its value. Whatever you paid I'd say you are probably one happy camper right about now. And well you should be. You got one heck of a nice gun!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks, for the info. as this one was a gift from a collector friend it looks like he thinks well of me! What is a good target load for this 32??.....41

·
Registered
153 Posts

I paid $ 900.00 for the one I have and have
seen more than one of them sell at the big gun shows in the $ 1000.00 to $ 1100.00 range if in 98 % condition and in the original box.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bat 41:
Thanks, for the info. as this one was a gift from a collector friend it looks like he thinks well of me! What is a good target load for this 32??.....41<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

The .32 caliber models bring the highest prices to the table. I once saw one in immaculate condition w/pristine box and all the papers for $2200. My poor pockets just couldn't stand it, but they needed a mop to get up the drool.
Whatever you paid you have something to brag about.
If you don't mind there is group on Yahoo for pre-war target Colts. We try to keep track of all the surviors we run across. You can join and add yours to the list or have one of us add it for you. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/COLT-1/?yguid=181479145

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

I put some "thoughts" to this question over on the Smith & Wesson Forum,where you also asked this yesterday. Bud

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks to all for the info, Lonewolf thanks to you ascwell for leading me to this great site!!.....41

·
Registered
600 Posts

Hi Bat 41: Welcome to the Colt Forum. Those .32 Colt OMs are indeed scarce and valuable guns. I bought one a few months ago, and will try to put some pics of it up here in a few days or so. After buying mine (not a mint piece) I later encountered a mint example in a gunshop that was priced at $1800, as I recall. It was a beautiful piece but no box or papers. Don't know if it ever sold, but at that price you would really have to want it. At 98% it sounds like you have a very nice one as well. How about posting some pics of it here?

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

OK, I'll try but be warned I am no PC whiz......41

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

I had to dig deep, but 2 good target loads I have used in the past were 2.5 grains of Green Dot behind a 90 grain HBWC (I used Hornady bullets) and 3.1 grains of Unique behind a 90 cast RN.
I have heard that the heavier 100 to 110 grain SWC can be very accurate also. I just never bought a mold for that bullet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I think some bricks of factory ammo came with the gun, I'll have to check the safe as the ammo was put away by the little lady. What was the standard load back in the day(1940's)?? Is thier any ammo a guy can by OTC now, or is it a reloaders game??

·
Registered
97 Posts

Federal makes a 32 wadcutter load, their part number is C32LA.

Better accuracy can be obtained with 1.65 grains of Bullseye behind the bullets cast in SAECO #323, provided that the bullets are cast from a rather soft alloy- at least my .32 OMT shows a distinct dislike for hard wadcutters. I've not had as good luck with Lyman/Ideal #313492, another wadcutter. The Lyman/Ideal mould is obsolete, but easily found on eBay. The SAECO mould is current, see your Redding dealer for more information if you're interested in ordering this mould.

In Europe many shooters load Lapua wadcutters over one of the fast burning Vihtavouri powders- N 310 or N320. I've seen quite a bit of discussion of this cartridge from time to time over on the Tatget Talk board. (Note: Target Talk "updated" its format within the past year, I'm not sure if the "archives" are available.)

These revolvers shoot exceptionally well at 25 yards, 50 yards on a windy day is a different proposition.

Bob

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

A .32 OMT would need a very interesting history to bring 2200.00, but I wouldn't hesitate to pay 700.00 for a LNIB specimen. It's a steal at that price. I paid near that for mine, several years ago, and had a helluva time locating a nice one. Typical prices for low to mid 90% guns that I've seen in recent years, seem to average about 800-900.00, with the near 98-100% 1000-1100+. I can't remember the last time I saw one in the original box. Boxes are really scarce, and would (should) add a substantial premium, in my opinion. Some collectors desire boxes, and some don't. As always, it will come down to how badly you want buy it, and how badly the owner wants to sell it. You're not likely to see another, like you describe, for quite some time.

·
Registered
132 Posts

I have one NIB; I paid $700 for it. . . this was over ten years ago, when they were undervalued. One in mint condition shouldn't be more than a grand; and there are a lot (well, a lot when you consider the production run was about 850) in really good shape, since a big eastern PD (I forget which one, but someone one the forum will know) ordered a bunch of them and never issued them. The problem with the .32OMT is finding one in subcollectable condition that you can shoot without troubling your conscience.

Bill

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Well, I can tell you this one is going to be shot! My grandkids can worry about losing a few bucks as my son is a shooter too. We are going to take good care of this one, shoot it, and milk it for all the tight old school one hand groups we can get out of it....41

·
Registered
132 Posts

Bud,

Very interesting question. As you probably know, Wilson/Sutherland state that there were OM's made in 32/20, but I have never seen one, or heard of one for sale. Anybody ever see one? If so, what were the markings?

Best,
Bill

·
Registered
111 Posts

Bill A,

Yes, the State of Massachusetts received 400 of the 32 OMT's January 1941 (my 32 was one of these from the Colt letter I have). The "lore" was that the Mass. National Guard had an up and coming revolver team and wanted the 32's. Many were not ever taken out of the boxes and eventually were sold en masse to a target range in Arizona (J&G). As of a few months ago, the last of these was on Gunsamerica for $1095 NIB from J&G Sales.

Scott

·
Registered
132 Posts

Hi Scott,

Yes, now that you mention it, I have heard the Mass National Guard mentioned. . . then I heard the Philadelphia PD. At any rate, a huge proportion of the very small production run does turn up in NIB shape. Glad I got one back when. Mine has box, tools, target.

Still haven't seen a response to the 32/20 question. Got an opinion, Scott?

Best,
Bill

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Mine looks to be a stock .32 Colt cal. with the orginal box, no tools or fac. target. Hope you guys find some of those .32-20's sounds like a fun hunt....!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts