Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday, 12/30/05 I purchased a Vxxxxx series 1978-9 mint condition Python. The Blueing did not even have marks on the cylinder. When I fired the gun I noticed two problems.
1. the cylinder slide release would stick and
2. 3 specific brass cases would stick when trying to eject them. Two of them were 180 degrees opposed and the third was adjacent to one of these.
Upon comparing the slide release two a friends older model, serial number 88xxx, I noticed there was very little slop in the slide versus this newer one. The slop or play on the new one is noticed when you push in or down on the rear portion of the slide and when looking down into the frame you can see the slideing part is very loose in the slot versus the older gun.
I told the dealer about the problem that day and have arranged to bring him the gun and he suggests he will take to a gunsmith. I am concerned and am wondering if it would be appropriate to simply ask for a refund? Thoughts? and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Is it just because your newer 1978 model has been sitting for 27 years with-out being fired and the original lube has made everything tight ?
That factory lube can turn hard as a rock depending on how the gun has been stored. That itself can actually make the tollerances of the gun feel tighter than they actually are.
Just a thought.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I fired the gun, I thouroughly cleaned and lubed. The slide is not sticking from old lube but appears to bind due to the play allowing the slide to twist or bind rather than go straight back. I cleaned and lubed the extractor and rod and it works smooth.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i would return the gun to colt,they will most likely repair it free if there is a problem. call them and get shipping instructions, enclose a letter describing the problem. i had a simular problem with a 10 yr. old unfired gun and they repaired it free and had it back in maybe 3-4 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Try cleaning it first. Make sure you use some of the newer degunker and lube sprays on the insides. Unless the gun was seriously abused, a good cleaning can take care of alot of problems.

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
Some of the Colts of this vintage were not of traditional Colt quality. I would suspect some rough machining causing the binding feeling. Since the gun is "new," it has not had a chance to be smoothed up by use.

I would remove the side plate and check for burrs. Remove them, or at least polish the parts if there are no burrs visable, and I think your problem will be solved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Contact Colt first to explain the problem and then ship your revolver for repair. I think you'll find that Colt is very accommodating. I had an issue with a SS Colt Python that I had purchased - a tool mark on the frame and a 'sticky' action. I communicated with their customer service representative, Cindy Lapointe, via mail, email and telephone. She was always very pleasant and eager to assist. I received my Python back in less than three weeks. The finish and the action are now both as smooth as silk - no charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To All,
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
I wanted to conclude this post by reporting that I took the 1979 Mint condition Python back to the Dealer and exchanged it for a 1969 Python in almost as good cosmetic condition. Cleaned and then test fired the 1969 and have zero issues. Everything works fine. Thanks again to all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts