Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen a box with matching serial come from tha factory with the wrong barrelled Python? Box says 6 inch, Python is 4 inch, same serial number and gun has never been worked on, or so I'm told. I know the answer is to get an archive letter to see how it left the factory, but I'm curious if anyone has known this to happen?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sorry, I can't believe no one gave you an answer on this.

Whatever the dealer says, quite a few barrels have left Colt without the guns. Switching barrels to get a somewhat more scarce barrel length happens more than one would hope for. My little FFL gun shop has extra python barrels in various lengths. I have told him "shame on you", but he doen't get rid of the barrels.

In my opinion it is doubtful, but not impossible that Colt mis-labled a box. The only way to tell is a Colt letter, and that can take 3 to 6 months to arrive.

I personally would pass on the gun.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
it is possible box was mismarked,i cant see a great advantage to switching bbls between the 4-6 in as both are about the same price, and neither is rare.now if the box was marked 4-6in. and the gun was a 3in. then i would be suspect.as robba said the only way you will know for sure is a letter.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I agree with the rarity of the 3", but I also know guys that are rabid about 4" guns, rather than 6", and have gone to the trouble of changing barrels.

Does't make a lot of sense to me either, but I doubt Colt would be mismarking boxes when a batch of revolvers are coming off the line.

I guess its a mystery, without a letter.

About 3" Pythons, that's one revolver I would never buy that wasn't lettered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts