Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first real post here, been lurking for quite some time though. I have a question for any gunsmith type person out there. I have a Anaconda that i bought about 4 years ago and it started to misfire about a year back. At the time I was using Winchester primers in my reloads and thought it was a bad lot of primers. Well i got to looking and if I pull the hammer back and let it down on a empty chamber and look at the firing pin with the trigger held back, the firing pin is barely poking out of the frame. I mean, its much less protrusion than any of my other sixguns. I dont think the pin is hitting the primer hard enough to reliably set it off. Anyone know why this has happened? Would it be a simple enough fix for a local gunsmith or should I send it back to Colt? Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
The Anaconda uses a similar firing pin design as other Colt revolvers, like the Python and the Trooper Mark III/King Cobra designs.
In fact, the Anaconda is basically an enlarged King Cobra.

These firing pins do NOT protrude much when the hammer is allowed to rest against them.

The firing pin is partially an inertial pin, in that the FORCE of the hammer dropping powers the pin forward with sufficient force to fire the cartridge.

To inspect the pin, use a punch to push the pin fully forward. Check the pin for a broken off tip.
I don't have the specs for the Anaconda, but the protrusion for most other Colt's is:
.042" Min
.056" Max.

The firing pin IS NOT field replaceable.
WARNING: The pin can ONLY be replaced by the Colt factory, or a factory-level service like Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters.

The pin is held in by both the cross pin AND the recoil plate, which is crimped in place.
To replace, special support jigs and tooling is needed, and attempting to do it without those tools will very likely ruin the frame.

Here's what I suggest:
First, check the pin for free, easy movement.
If pressed forward with a punch, it should fully protrude near the above specs, then snap back.
There should be no sluggish or sticky movement.

Try putting a drop of a cleaner-lube like CLP Breakfree in the spring tunnel, and pumping the pin in and out to distribute the lube.

Since this is a new problem, I'm assuming there is no chance of an altered or replaced mainspring.

My main suggestion is to try some different ammo.
Possibly there is a problem with your reloads, and before going to the expense of sending the gun in for a check, you should eliminate any chance it's NOT the gun.

In my experience with this type of Colt pin, these give remarkable little trouble.

The most "common" problem is a broken pin caused by dry-firing the revolver AND having one of the rare too-hard pins.
Broken pins are NOT that common, but that's about the only problem encountered other than a gummed-up sticky pin.

Because of the low number of problems encountered with these pins, I tended to look elsewhere for mis-fire problems, particularly to altered or weak mainsprings, or bad ammo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks dfariswheel, I switched to Federal primers and have not had a misfire since but I use Winchester primers with everything else so its kind of a pain to have Anaconda ammo and everything else ammo, if you can see what I mean. I have looked at the firing pin tip and it looks good to me, I am the original owner and nothing on the gun has been messed with. I have pressed on the transfer bar with a pencil tip while the gun is cocked and the pin moves very freely in and out, and can protrude quite a distance when doing so. I will try and measure the protrusion this evening. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Majic, I tried measuring the firing pin protrusion as best I could using the bottom of my calipers but it was hard to get a accurate measurement. However it does look like its in between the specs you gave. If it misfires again with Winchester primers I will probably send it back to Colts but not until I get my Python back, its been gone for 2 months now for warranty work and cant wait to get it back..Another post all in itself...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts