Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told recently that in the first few thousand Colt 2nd gen SAA's, that Colt was "using up" 1st gen parts, even those that were already stamped with the three digit "assembly numbers". The result being a cylinder with an assembly number different from that of the frame and the loading gate. I think it is hard to fathom a cylinder being numbered and not have the frame and gate numbered at the same time and all three remain together. These number are not being confused wiht the digits of the SN, but in fact assembly numers. My take is a mismatched gun but would like other opinions.

I have owned several 1956 and 1957 SAA's and on every gun, all three components had numbers that matched.

Anyone have any such information to verify whether or not such a "questionable" claim may be valid??

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Can't say for certain, but it doesn't make sense to stamp assembly numbers on parts not already assigned and fitted to a particular gun, but it makes a good story to sell a mismatched gun...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I just checked my 1956 SAA,.38 Special 5 1/2",serial #191xSA. It has the #117 on the cylinder front,inside the loading gate,and inside the rear of the frame,on the right,visible when grips are removed.

Not having a late model pre war SAA,it is difficult to get a comparison of subtle differences in cylinders,hammers,markings etc. Garton's book also states that early 2nd gen, SAAs,up to around 10000SA, had the assembly number in those 3 places.

The only exception,could be,that Garton points out,is an already assembled and marked gun that did not pass "final inspection",and was returned,disassembled,and its parts used again. That sounds like a longshot to me,especially in those "golden years" of SAA "reintroduction". Bud

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohiobuckeye & lonewolf,

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I passed on the gun as his story "may" be true, but the numbers do not match, and never will. My 1956 5 1/2" SAA #5578SA has all matching assembly numbers, as have two others I have owned.

BTW, I see there are a few of us that frequent both the S&W and the Colt Forums.

Thanks guys.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts