Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at this piece on Gunboker. I noticed in pic #17 the recoil plate is missing. This is the first time that I spotted such a thing. It has me wondering exactly what would happen if the unsuspecting buyer shoots the gun in this condition. I imagine the primer would back out of the case and possibly lock up the cylinder leaving 4 or 5 live rounds in a jammed up firearm. How close was my way of thinking this through?
Are replacements just pressed in?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I was looking at this piece on Gunboker. I noticed in pic #17 the recoil plate is missing. This is the first time that I spotted such a thing. It has me wondering exactly what would happen if the unsuspecting buyer shoots the gun in this condition. I imagine the primer would back out of the case and possibly lock up the cylinder leaving 4 or 5 live rounds in a jammed up firearm. How close was my way of thinking this through?
Are replacements just pressed in?

View attachment 704491
Replacing the recoil shield can be a simple fix, but you may have to lathe turn a circular staking punch. I wonder if someone previously installed a floating firing pin and a flat faced hammer? The recoil shield probably didn't just fall out.

I once had a 1930 Colt SAA where someone installed a Christi(?) floating firing pin, barrel, nd cylinder. The Christi barrel and cylinder were in 22 hornet, I think. I bought the gun less barrel and cylinder.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
People underestimate the power in a falling hammer. It’s enough to bend the hammer screw. One squeeze of the trigger and the hammer would pop a glued-in recoil shield with no problem. It’s not difficult to re-secure a new shield.
My guess is something is off dimensionally with the firing pin and it should be remedied before securing a new recoil shield.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I remember reading the final column of either "Field and Stream" or "Outdoor Life" decades ago where the writer was noting a customer said he had a revolver that shot full auto. He called BS and told the customer to show him. They went to the range with a SAA, and the gun would rattle off six shots if the trigger was pulled, or fewer shots if the trigger was released. Turned out the recoil plate was missing, and the primers would come out through the hole in the frame and recock the hammer. I was young then, and had not shot a SAA but that story has always stuck in my head.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I sent the seller a message concerning the missing shield.

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
179 Posts
I seem to recall reading about John Browning, John Garand, and maybe even Peterson looking into using the primer to cycle the action of a rifle. There must have been others.
I don’t think firing a revolver with that setup and no disconnector is on my bucket list.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a recoil plate fall out on a new Colt New Frontier 44 Special in 1982. The local gunsmith had to make a special staking tool to reinstall. I could have sent back to Colt, but this was much faster. It is still in the gun and works great.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sent the seller a message concerning the missing shield.
I wonder what his reply will be or if they will remove the listing or edit it, as this revolver has an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Yelp, we'll see.
Vic

Reactions: superdave269

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
I remember reading the final column of either "Field and Stream" or "Outdoor Life" decades ago where the writer was noting a customer said he had a revolver that shot full auto. He called BS and told the customer to show him. They went to the range with a SAA, and the gun would rattle off six shots if the trigger was pulled, or fewer shots if the trigger was released. Turned out the recoil plate was missing, and the primers would come out through the hole in the frame and recock the hammer. I was young then, and had not shot a SAA but that story has always stuck in my head.
I wonder if “ Mythbusters” would take this one on? Pete

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Maybe that is the reason "The bore is still very bright and doesn't appear to have seen much use."

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a recoil plate fall out on a new Colt New Frontier 44 Special in 1982. The local gunsmith had to make a special staking tool to reinstall. I could have sent back to Colt, but this was much faster. It is still in the gun and works great.
Added for thought, the gunsmith did not have to remove barrel to stake the recoil plate.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Not a hard one to fix once you have a replacement. As mentioned no need to pull the barrel to get it done. And proof dry firing a poorly fit SAA (any SAA) is not a good idea.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts