Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After posting on the board yesterday on the value and desireability of this model and with the reassurance from the board I purchased this revolver. The serial number is
Y9501. It would certainly be appreciated if someone could give me a date it was made and any other information as to the number produced.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
Only Colt knows how many guns in a specific caliber were produced, but the .22 Magnum was the least popular caliber in the Trooper Mark III, so production was fairly low.

How low is low, is known only to Colt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
At $200, you got a great deal. Is your's blue or nickel?

I paid $200 for a 6" Coltguard (electrolis nickel) model 6 years ago , and thought I got a good deal back then. I have seen my model advertised on auctions, saying that only 200 or 250 were made in this configuration, but I have been unable to verify those numbers. Here's a picture of mine. It came with medallioned Pachmayr presentation grips. I found this new pair of Trooper takes-offs at a small gun store in OK for $20 and put them on.

My s/n is Y404xx. Can anyone tell me when it was manufactured?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
skeezix, yours was made in 1980, they went from Y10935 to Y40584, so yours was made very late that year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one I purchased is a blue 6 inch. This is the last revolver that I intend to purchase. However, I think that I have said that about the last five or so that I purchased.

Thanks to all of you for responding to my request for information.

·
Registered
58 Posts
LA Bill,

[ QUOTE ]
This is the last revolver that I intend to purchase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, right! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif That's what I tell my wife.

Lorin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dumb question? What ammo besides .22 magnum can be used in the Trooper .22 magnum? I find .22 long rifle seats well which means short and long rifle would also seat well? I know other calibers,ie. .44 magnum and .357 can use other types ammo?

·
Registered
388 Posts
DO NOT FIRE .22 LR, long, or short in your .22 magnum!!! The reason it seats well in the chambers is its case diameter is slightly narrower than the magnum (.222 to about .226 for the mag) If you fire .22 Long Rifle, the cases will split, allowing gases to leak out, creating a dangerous situation to you and the gun! The parent round for the .22 magnum is the .22 Winchester Rimfire, .22 WRF for short. In 1954 Winchester lengthened the WRF to create the .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire, .22 WMR for short. It is the same relationship between the WMR and WRF as the .38 special and .357 Magnum, or the .44 Special and Magnum. Original ballisitics for the WRF was a 40 grain lead bullet at about 1350 fps from a rifle barrel. Winchester made rifles for it, and Colt chambered a few Police Positives for the WRF. I recently passed up a Police positive in WRF due to concern over ammo availability. Winchester and CCI are the only companies loading it now, are Winchester with a 40 grain coppercoated lead bullet, and CCI with a 40 grain JHP. You will probably find that you'll probably do better sticking with the magnum, as it is more plentiful and cheaper. Discount stores like Wal-Mart have .22 Magnum, but if you walk in and ask for .22 WRF they'll look at you kind of funny!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts