Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was dry firing my Lawman MKIII (with snap caps), when it locked up tight as a drum. Except the cylinder swings out and back in without any trouble or catch.

Now I do know that dry firing the MK III without caps will do something to the firing pin. But I never experienced nor seen the effect when it does malfunction.

So I'm wondering if that's what happened. Basically the hammer is, down, but is seized up. I cannot pull the hammer back at all to cock it. It won't budge.

The trigger is also locked in the forward position, and will not budge at all when I attempt to pull it.

The cylinder can be swung out and swung back in without any problems. The bolt can be pushed down and rebounds back up like normal.

Looking at the firing pin hole from inside the cylinder window, it appears that the firing pin is slightly forward of where it normally sits, however is not protruding into the cylinder window.

So my friends, what do I have?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,071 Posts
It's impossible to diagnose odd problems without actually seeing the gun.

If the firing pin is slightly forward, it sounds like the transfer bar may be broken, or the pin that holds it on the trigger may have broken off and a broken piece from either may be jamming the action.

The only way to find out what's wrong is to remove the grips, the cylinder assembly, then the side plate.
You really need to know what you're doing to do this since it's easy to damage the side plate if you don't know the correct method of removing it.

Options are to return the gun to Colt, or buy the Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual Volume TWO on the Colt DA revolvers.
The manual can be bought from Brownell's and is THE gunsmithing book on the Colt's.
While you're buying the manual, buy a set of Brownell's Magna-Tip screwdriver bits and a Law Enforcement type handle.
Use ordinary screwdrivers and you'll dink up the screws.

If you return the gun to Colt, they'll repair it and they have the parts needed to do so.
If you pay for the manual and driver set and find out a part is broken, you may have a tough time finding a new part.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dfariswheel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts