Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there enough difference between the Mk III series guns and the Mk V series to say that one is superior to the other? My impression is the changes were small differences in the trigger funtion and grip size. Is there anything that would be a deciding factor (other then preference) between the two. I am faced with a choice. Any help deciding? Thanks.
amvet

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recently shot a almost NIB Peacekeeper MK V and to be honest it is a heck of a gun. Double action very smooth, some litte stacking at te end but very crisp. And short action indeed. I figure about 10 - 11 pounds of pressure needed. I reckon that the DA is shorter than on my S&W686.

The grip is very good. Especially with the Pachmayr gripper. I liked the grip so much I will buy one for my S&W686-5.(also round butt design)
Because I'm new to Colt revolvers I can't give you a review about the performance of MK III trigger actions.....
But hope the above mentioned helps.

What I do read in this Forum is that MK III actions are different to the MK V actions. That's the main reason Colt decided to improve the MK III trigger actions. But with some decent training you can get used to all actions. MK III or MK V? In mine opion it doesn't matter.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
As above, the big change was to the action.
The Trooper Mark V changed the Mark III's sintered steel hammer and trigger to cast steel, and the design was changed to Colt's first "short action".

The mainspring was lengthened, and it's seat location was changed.

The other changes were more cosmetic, the vented barrel with a different top rib, and the rounded butt frame.

This is STRICTLY personal preference, but I prefer the cosmetics of the Mark III.

PERSONALLY, I don't like the looks of the non-checkered hammer, and I absolutely HATE the appearance of the Mark V wooden grips, which I think are the ugliest Colt ever used.

Mechanically, I really have no preference.
Due to the Mark V's short action, it feels different than the Mark III.
Not better or worse, just different.

I guess that the cast steel hammer and trigger MIGHT be said to be stronger than the Mark III's sintered steel.

Any way you could swing buying BOTH???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being able to swing both is what I am attempting to do. I bought a 2" Lawman Mk III in e-nickel awhile back that led to a 2" Lawman Mk V in bright nickel. I think I have become hooked on J frame Colts. I never thought this S&W shooter would ever admit such a thing.
amvet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts