Colt Forum banner

MK IV Series 70 Questions

909 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  kilogulf59 
#1 ·
Howdy from central Wisconsin,

I have a couple of questions on my old Colt Mk IV Series 70 .45 a.c.p. that I hope you folks can help me with.

First, I would like to replace the collet bushing with a solid type. Does anyone make a "drop-in" model or do they all have to be fitted?

Second, the factory sights leave a lot to be desired (so does my eyesight nowadays) so they need replacing also. What is the best type, for a combat/defense application, and is there a good Colt smith in Wisconsin (I’m an hour north of Madison) that I can trust to do the work correctly? I’d also like a professional to give her a good checking over as it’s been a few years since I’ve used it and I just might resurrect her a my main defensive piece.

To my knowledge, the only work ever performed on the arm was a ramp and throat and that was completed before I bought it, which was back in 1979.

Oh, one more, are Wilson magazines still the “hot ticket” or are there more reliable types on the market now?

Thank you very much, in advance, for your assistance.

See less See more
#2 ·
In order:

Bushing:
Yes there are drop in bushings available. These are available from Colt and as made by other makers.
You can buy most of them from:
Brownell's. http://www.brownells.com
You can get genuine Colt from Brownell's or direct from Colt.
I personally like Colt because I KNOW theirs are machined, not cast or MIM.

There are MANY after-market sights available, again, Brownell's carry all most all of them.
One way to go is to go with the Colt three dot type, which work better for combat shooting, especially with bad eyes.
There a LOT of new type combat sights, you just have to decide what you want, and whether you're willing to have a dovetail milled on your slide for some of them.

I don't show any recommended pistolsmith's in Wisconsin, but I can recommend:
The Colt factory.
They built it, they know more about it than ANYBODY.
Colt does fine work, has genuine factory parts, and are usually the best on price and turnaround.

They, more than anybody can put your gun back into factory-spec condition, and if you want some custom work, the Colt Custom Shop has been world famous since 1840.

Next, is:
Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters
1330 Center Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
(412) 766-6100

Pittsburgh used to be Colt's factory overflow for warranty repairs.
They also have genuine parts, and do factory-level work.
They too are good on price and turnaround.

My advice.....send your Colt to Colt for the best work, pricing, and turnaround. You'll be happy with their work, and you won't run the risk of a local gunsmith that really isn't that good.

As for magazines, Wilson are good, so are genuine Colt factory, which get overlooked because they're NOT a "hot" new maker. Colt's have worked just fine since 1911.

As you note, I like genuine Colt parts. I always had good luck with the "real thing", often less so with after-market parts.
I go by the old adage, "Why mess with something else, when the original is always good"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.