Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for input on the above weapon. Supposedly less than 500 were made in the late 60's to early 70's. Any information on this would be appreciated.

FC

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: MKIII 6th Issue Officers Model Match .38 Speci

FWIW The Blue Book says 496. 38 special only, 6" only, shrouded VR barrel, wide spur hammer, Accro sights. 1969-70. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
The Officer's Model Match Mark III is basically just a Trooper Mark III chambered in .38 Special, and with a vented barrel.

The front sight was a Patridge model, the rear was a standard Accro, and as I remember, the hammer had a longer spur than the standard Mark III "Target" hammer.

Other than those differences, it was a straight Trooper Mark III.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: MKIII 6th Issue Officers Model Match .38 Speci

FWIW Blue Book 98% = $1275, 95% = $1050. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
907 Posts
Go for it. FWIW, in 20+ years of accumulating Colts, I have seen exactly one in the flesh. 1K sounds like a lot, but you may never have another opportunity /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The information already posted is pretty much on the money. When I have a little extra time I'll pull mine from the depths of the safe and see if there's anything to add. I have several other MKIII's but have never taken the time to actually lay the OMM MKIII and one of the Trooper MKIII's side by side and compare in detail. I'll post the findings when I finish the comparison. One thing for certain.....they are very scarce. I've never seen or heard of another one at a show, on the internet auctions, in the Gun List, or anywhere else in the past 20 years.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ditto to ohiobuckeye's comments.
It's not so much about the quality of the gun, or its uniqueness, but its rarity.
Yes, it's pretty much a Trooper MK III.
IMHO, $ 1,000 is reasonable, and I would love to find one!
Don

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
When I have a little extra time I'll pull mine from the depths of the safe and see if there's anything to add. I'll post the findings when I finish the comparison. One thing for certain.....they are very scarce. I've never seen or heard of another one at a show, on the internet auctions, in the Gun List, or anywhere else in the past 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you had the time yet Ohio? I would appreciate your input.

FC /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I won the auction. Got it for $1050 here in California. I am really excited, can't wait to pick it up. The only wear is a slight cylinder line. I will post picks when I get her home. I hope I did all right.

FC

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Well I won the auction. Got it for $1050 here in California. I am really excited, can't wait to pick it up. The only wear is a slight cylinder line. I will post picks when I get her home. I hope I did alright.

FC

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a beauty and probably a good deal in CA . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Have you had the time yet Ohio? I would appreciate your input.FC /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies for taking so long. The hard part was trying to remember which safe they were in, and of course, one was all the way in the bottom of one safe, and the other was in the rear of another safe. I have several Trooper MkIII's, 22, 22 mag, and 357, but wanted to use only the 357 to compare with the OMM, so here goes.
Grips are little different. The OMM has a slightly different curvature at the top "thumb rest" area and the OMM grip medallions are silver vs Gold for the Trooper.
The Barrels have identical profiles but Trooper barrel rib is solid vs a three slot vent rib for the OMM.
The OMM front sight is a Patridge and the Trooper has a ramp blade. The ramp sight bases are identical on both.
The rear sights are identical Accro style on each gun.
The hammers are identical shape, profile, and checking, except the OMM thumb lobe has a slightly thinner tapered shape toward the tip(looking at the side profile), while the Trooper is a more uniform thickness.
The trooper has a slightly wider smooth trigger compared to the OMM's three groove serrated trigger.
Both have a seven groove backstrap.
The Trooper has a recoil plate retaining pin and the OMM does not.
The finishes appear to be identical. The matte and polished areas are of identical coverage and quality.
The "feel" of the actions are similar. The OMM may have a slightly lighter SA pull. My trigger pull scales are buried somewhere in a box until I get everything sorted and stored back into my workshop. I'm still recovering from a major construction job.
That's the differences my feeble eyesight can detect. As a well known firearm historian would say "I hope this helps".... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
807 Posts
FCinCA:

I sure would like to know how you imported this MK III 6th issue, OMM legally into CA? Normally, you could only purchase this gun here in CA, via an private party transfer! If you(Somehow?)did find an legal loop hole, this would be very interesting for this fellow Californian to know(And for others!)?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Colt38,

I got it here in Cali. Lucky me. One of those rare finds here with the DOJ Drop List stuff. It was done via PPT.

FC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts