Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I cant seem to find any info on the MKIII Border patrols being produced in the satin nickel version. I found one for sale 155 miles from me and I didnt know if its worth my trip or not. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Kevin.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
besides the one you mentioned there is at least one more out there. actually i'll bet that there are others. I saw one at a show about 2 years ago and I would have ended up with it except the backstrap was stamped with a police department marking. it looked to be factory satin nickel to me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is wearing Goodyears and the finish has some rub marks (like most e-nickel revolvers) but over all, she looks good. I have sent him a message asking if the backstrap is inscribed or not. Im waiting to hear back. Kevin.

Attachments

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,880 Posts
As far as I know (note the qualifier) the Colt Border Patrol that was actually just the Trooper Mark III, did NOT have a satin nickel or Coltguard electroless nickel finish.
The original finish was bright nickel.
There were 1,152 made in bright nickel from 1970 to 1975. This is before Coltguard was available.

True, I've only seen probably two nickel Border Patrol revolvers but both had mirror polish bright nickel, "possibly" not as well polished as standard Colt bright nickel, but no where near a satin finish.
Both had standard square butt Colt walnut grips, not rubber.

I would suggest being very careful about this particular gun, it doesn't look "right". Possibly it's been rebarreled, refinished, or it's an unknown variation. Only a Colt Archive letter will tell you for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
Dfariswheel is correct about the dates. The only nickel MKIII border patrol I have seen was also bright nickel. Colt was offering Coltguard as a refinish option well after they stop producing Coltguard revolvers. Also it appears that the factory Coltguard revolvers had pachmayr stocks with Colt emblems. That is still one nice looking Colt that I would love to have in my collection depending on price.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,880 Posts
An addition.
Most of the Colt Mark III-Border Patrol revolvers were sold as commercial guns. Some police departments bought a few too.
The actual US Border Patrol issued guns have hand stamped USBP markings and issue numbers on the right side of the frame above the trigger, not on the back strap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all very much!! I so appreciate the information. Based on this thread I have decided to walk away. This forum and its members are amazing! Thank you again!! KEvin.

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
Would you tell us if you know what price he was asking? I am more of a shooter than a mint matching box papers safequeen letters type of guy.

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
430 Posts
Thank you all very much!! I so appreciate the information. Based on this thread I have decided to walk away. This forum and its members are amazing! Thank you again!! KEvin.
Good idea. I saw a bright nickel BP model that was in the holster of an Alabama State Trooper near Anniston, AL in 1976, when I went thru MP School.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I would be careful with this revolver ,since gun parts corp was offering matte blue Border Patrol barrels as late as the 90s.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. He was originally asking 750.00 and it has sold, but I have no way of knowing what he actually came down to. Kevin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts