Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased an 1896 with a Colt Commando Barrel in 38 Special. I understand that at the end of the production of these 38 special was offered. The cylinder is off color from the frame and is RAC marked. Did RAC inspect cylinders in 38 special?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If the cylinder is bored straight thru it is for 38 Long Colt. If there is a lip at the front of the chamber then it was made for 38 Special. Colt started chambering their revolvers for 38 Special in 1904.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I can be dumber than a rock. Is this lip very pronounced? It appears the forward end is larger/sloped?? than the extractor side. My tools are still in storage, but I probably can borrow a micrometer from someone. Any further description or if you have one perhaps a photo?? Either way, Thanks.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I can be dumber than a rock. Is this lip very pronounced? It appears the forward end is larger/sloped?? than the extractor side. My tools are still in storage, but I probably can borrow a micrometer from someone. Any further description or if you have one perhaps a photo?? Either way, Thanks.
The lip is pretty obvious. It was added when Colt changed over to the inside lubed type bullets from the outside lubed ones. The change made the bullet smaller in diameter and the lip helped reduce pressure loss. If your Colt was made prior to 1904, then it is almost certainly for the 38 Long Colt cartridge.

·
Registered
12,844 Posts
You can just post some images looking down into the Cylinder chambers.

If you have some .38 Special laying around, you can just see how the Bullet itself fits in the Muzzle end of the Barrel.

I do not remember what year they went from the outside Lube to the inside Lube or how soon after they reduced the Barrel Bore diameter.

The earlier outside Lube Bullet, the Bullet itself was the same diameter as the Cartidge Case, and the Barrel Bore Diameter was also.

But, only the late Cylinder had a 'step' which registered for .38 Special length ( far as I know ) rather than registering for .38 LC length...and the Revolvers at that point were warranted for .38 Special, even though they were still technically .38 LC and of course continuous with the .38 LC production of their Model designation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you one and all! The lock up and timing on this is very tight. The cylinder is definitely not original to the weapon, nor the barrel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts