Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone. I am fairly new to Colt revolvers but have become interested in getting some of the older post-war models. I am paticularly interested in the 357 model. Being inexperienced with the worth of these revolvers I thougt that I might find some guidance here. I have made contact with a seller that has one made in 1960-61 and, from the pictures, it seems to have some holster wear on the high spots but has approximately 95% of the blueing left. I haven't put my hands on it so I don't know what the timing or lock-up is like. Given this info what is an aceptable price range for a piece like this?

BTW, this is a great place for a new enthusiast like me to get aquatainted with the world of Colt revolvers. I have really enjoyed soaking in all the knowledge. I look forward to posting some pictures of a new aquisition.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Mike,

I have seen them sell in 98% to nearly mint condition with box for as little as $525 to as much as $700, depends on who wants it. If it were me I would try to buy a 95% gun for $400-$450. I'm at work and don't have a Blue Book with me so I can't give you Blue Book value. I think that they are a real sleeper gun that is a great one to buy at the right price. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think the .357 was discontinued in 1961 and I am not certain what year it was introduced. Generally considered a beefed up version of the Trooper and precursor to the Python.

I would call the .357 a sleeper (definitely a keeper). I have the four and six inch blues from 1957 and 1960. Got both at excellent prices. However, they are beginning to become popular and commanding a higher price tag.

It's hard to say what a 95% is worth and I would want to see this pistol to envision what the sellers concept of 95% actually is. I would personally not pay more than $500.00 in excellent 95% and that might be a stretch.

The nickel version is very rare.

Some of our resident experts can give more detail on the history. Also, do a search on this forum because there is a lot of information on this pistol.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I've received several pictures from the seller so the 95% is my guess based on what I've seen.

The serial number is 255XX, (I hope the X's aren't against the forum rules. This is the info I got from the seller.) which proofhouse.com has as manufactured in 1960-61. If anybody has better info, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I would call the .357 a sleeper (definitely a keeper). The nickel version is very rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pick up nickeled M357's when ever I can find one. Lately, you guys have beat me to them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts