Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Acquired a Model 357 from our member JohnH this week. Received just as described. Thanks John.

Nice example of a first year, serial number 216, Dual Tone, 357. I've clean it up some, both the steel and wood. The barrel, toward the muzzle, has several external pits and there is a couple of spots elsewhere. Note: this was known prior to purchase. There is very little carry wear or action wear on this gun.
I cleaned the stocks several times with Murphy's Soap and a toothbrush. A lot of gunk was removed. The stocks are still very dark, especially the left side.
Very pleased to get this revolver! Model 357 and 2 1/2 Python were on my list.

Vic

·
The Consummate Collector
6,557 Posts
Congratulations on a nice acquisition. I have always liked this model and collected several over the years. I am now down to the basics with one 4" and one 6". As you probably already know they were sold with either the service model stocks or the target stocks. One could also order the standard hammer or wide spur hammer. The shipping boxes varied in size depending on the type of stocks on the gun as the target stocks required a larger box. I still have this 6" NIB in the collection:

The 4"

Here are a few interesting ones that I had at one time:

S/N 19

The 6" model in nickel, only one that I have ever seen:

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cam
Splendid examples! Number 19 and a nickel as well! Do you recall the acquisition history on either?
I noticed your 6” blued has very dark stocks too.
Vic

·
The Consummate Collector
6,557 Posts
Cam
Splendid examples! Number 19 and a nickel as well! Do you recall the acquisition history on either?
I noticed your 6” blued has very dark stocks too.
Vic
Vic

I really don't remember much about them. I hunt for guns all the time and have been doing that for most of my collecting years so I assume that each showed up someplace along the way and I bought them. I usually have a feeling of what I might like to buy and if one shows up I pounce on it.

I do remember where I bought the boxed 6". A gun collecting friend had bought it new years ago and I let him know that I would be interested in it if he ever decided to sell it. He never fired it and neither have I so it remains just like it did when it left the factory. I think I filled the original bill of sale that he had as well. I believe he bought it from Old English Gun Shop where Mitch, our moderator, works. He just lives a few miles from there.

Cam.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I picked one up last year at a pawn shop, pretty worn looking, funky grips but for 300 bucks I couldn't pass it up. took it out a few weeks ago and shoots nice! I did buy a set of asian grips for it. jim

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not yet. It will be a couple of days. A bunch of stuff going on right now.
I'll advise with a range report 😀
Vic

Reactions: VaqueroAZ

·
Premium Member
3,180 Posts
That was a very good deal! I would have snagged it myself, but current circumstances wouldn’t allow it. Glad you got it 🥳

Reactions: Kerz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since this seems to have some knowledgeable folks on this model, I hope I can get some direction. I recently acquired a 3 5 7 model, 1954. It is missing the rear sight blade.Can someone please point me in the right direction for a replacement blade. Mine has the target hammer and sight. Much thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts