Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a model m 1908 in 380 and it has problems feeding It will shoot 1 to 3 times then fail to load a round all the way into the chamber. It ejects every fired shot every time. Just fails to feed every time. What could be the problem. Mag is Colt orginal and appears OK. Gun is clean It has had a new barrel recently as the old one had a split in it. I can get the old barrel repaired though I believe. I hope it has the correct barrel in it. all info appreciated DW

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
welcome to the forum, you might get more comments if you post your question in the auto section. i assume the ammo is usa made factory fmj type. i would start by switching magazines. let us know how it turns out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,984 Posts
One key suspect is "It has had a new barrel recently".

It's possible the new barrel has problems such as a slightly rough feed ramp.

Some things to try:
Try a different brand/type of ammo. Guns are often ammo sensitive, and some guns just don't "like" some ammo.

Try a different magazine. Defective magazines almost always "look" OK.

Install a new FACTORY WEIGHT recoil spring. Recoil springs do deteriorate over time and use. Do NOT use any "extra-Power springs. Guns are designed to operate with a specific weight spring.

Check the breech face for burrs, impacted fouling, or pitting that might be preventing the case from sliding up under the extractor.

Check the extractor for impacted fouling, worn/chipped or defective areas. Make sure the extractor moves freely. Check to insure cases can slide up under the extractor without hanging up.

If this doesn't help, have a QUALIFIED gunsmith do a light "polish" of the feed ramp. Note I said "light polish" NOT "polish like a mirror". You want SMOOTH, not shiny.

If the original barrel actually has a split, I don't see any way it can be repaired properly. I'd be very wary of attempts to do so.

So, the reasons a round will fail to feed into the chamber:
Magazine defective and fails to feed the round properly oriented.

Case hanging up on a rough breech face.

Case hanging up under a defective extractor.

Extractor impacted with fouling.

Rough feed ramp.

Ammo related.

Recoil spring weak or to strong.

Dirty/dry gun.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
dfariswheel covered it very well. I will only add: inspect the chamber and rear of the barrel under magnification for cleanliness and for burrs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts