Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw two different pistols with red dot mounts attached to the frame, IE drilled into the frame. One was a nice looking series 70 Colt the other a Les Baer setup for Bullseye wadcutters. The Colt was $700 asking price and the Les Baer twice that. How much would drilling the frame affect reliability and perhaps the value? The holes are there and there would be no going back without a refinish. Any issues with frames cracking with use?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not sure about holes drilled into the frame. I'm assuming a side mounted scope mount designed to go up and over the slide? I've seen the rear sight removed and the SLIDE drilled and tapped for optics. I don't know why someone would put a red dot on a bulls eye set up....(wad cutter) pistol, the diameter of the dot would definitely hinder the shooters score on an NRA bulls eye target.

Value on modified pistols is basically what someone is willing to pay. Most will shy away from 1911 platforms that have been monkeyed with by "dremel smiths". Mods done by credible smiths with accompanying documentation will sell quicker.

Without pics its hard to judge,,,,,,I think I would pass

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any pictures, but the mounts go over the slide, Weigland is one name I recognized. Four holes on each side of the front of the frame for the mount. My eyes are getting old, and am wondering if the red dot would help.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
I never liked any of the bolt-on stuff, myself - and have never been a fan of the Red Dot apparatus on the handgun - it makes it unwieldy for my hand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not really like the bolt on stuff either. Pulling the slide back with the mount and red dot was a PIA. Perhaps I should look into new glasses. Right now the front sight is a bit fuzzy and target mostly clear. I have always shot better when the front sight was clear and the target was a bit fuzzy.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I do not really like the bolt on stuff either. Pulling the slide back with the mount and red dot was a PIA. Perhaps I should look into new glasses. Right now the front sight is a bit fuzzy and target mostly clear. I have always shot better when the front sight was clear and the target was a bit fuzzy.
Faced with drilling the frame of one of my guns or getting new glasses, I'd get new glasses. :cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
What JohnnyP said. Holes in the frame would be a deal breaker for me. Both guns VERY much devalued to most shooters IMHO....ymmv

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not like the mods either, as the Colt has been at LGS for three weeks and not sold it appears that others do not either. A friend works at the LGS and he said it was sold twice then folks changed their minds and canceled the sale. A very nice series 70, almost perfect bluing but the mods... I know I could offer less and it would be accepted, but...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I did not like the mods either, as the Colt has been at LGS for three weeks and not sold it appears that others do not either. A friend works at the LGS and he said it was sold twice then folks changed their minds and canceled the sale. A very nice series 70, almost perfect bluing but the mods... I know I could offer less and it would be accepted, but...
There are other nice S70 Colts out there that have no issues......run Forrest....run....

·
Registered
852 Posts
Faced with drilling the frame of one of my guns or getting new glasses, I'd get new glasses. :cool:
If you have a cooperative eye doctor, take a pistol along and let him fool with lenses 'till the front sight is indeed in focus, tho' you may have to fudge a bit; if the sight is too sharp to the complete detriment of the target, you won't get hits either.
My suggestion; have him make you bifocals with a high line; the lower half is for the sights and shooting; the upper is your normal distance prescription so you don't get sick in the stomach trying to walk around wearing them. To shoot, raise your nose slightly so that you're looking thru' the relatively close prescription at the bottom so that you can see the sights.
Alternately, try contrasting or light-gathering sights. The Walther 'dot the i' is good, as is the Glock 'dot in the box'. Ray Charles could win a gunfight with Glock sights.
Moon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts