Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my Oxpho Blue so I could blend the barrel finish to somewhat match the rest of barrel. Looks so good I cleaned up finish on cylinder, to match rest of gun. Don't know why the cylinders on these older gun always show much worse then frame. Maybe just because it's out there and handled a lot more. Even the back strap and grip frame on this gun were in better shape...good shape in fact, about 70% original blue. Well, I think it looks like it's been this way a long time, which is what I was after. Oh, the joys of fire blue are also shown. Now it's ready for use.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Merwin2,Do you have any before photos? How do you think it would work on SAA royal blue scratches?Thanks,Tim

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Merwin2,Do you have any before photos? How do you think it would work on SAA royal blue scratches?Thanks,Tim
I do, but they may not be what you're asking about. This revolver started life as a 4" barrel with patina'd cylinder, but with nice fire blue hammer, trigger. I redid screws. It had 70% old Colt high blue. I'll give you some before pics, but I don't have the ones where the first 3/4" of barrel was polished in the white, after silver soldering new sight in place on shortened barrel. Oxpho Blue does not give a dark blue finish, but a more gray/blue that covers well, is tough and looks better against old blue. It does not require polishing to white, but that works well if pantina exists.
For scratches, I would just degrease area and swab on after warming metal with blow dryer. After neutralizing with alcohol, use oiled steel wool to lightly polish. You can use it in many coats if you don't like first attempt. Snub pic is first attempt to blue using another brand of cold blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
gun turned out nice!
question... do you know what caused the circumferential scratches on the cylinder in the second clockwise photo of the before pics?
i ask because they look like scratches that are on my single action and they look to be made by something that is fixed in the frame, yet there is nothing there to do the deed. :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Merwin2, Thanks for the response and the photos. They were most helpful. The gun looks great. I need to add a bottle of the Oxpho to my bag of tricks.Tim

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I'm not sure about your single action cylinder scratch - but - I have seen many times that circumferential cylinder scratch on double action revolvers and THAT is caused by the side plate screw backing out, becoming loose and then opening the cylinder for loading and scoring the cylinder when rotating and loading the gun. Its' like one scratch is from the edge of the sideplate and the second scratch is from the screw. It seems like the shooting keeps doing this until something falls off. Jackson

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure about your single action cylinder scratch - but - I have seen many times that circumferential cylinder scratch on double action revolvers and THAT is caused by the side plate screw backing out, becoming loose and then opening the cylinder for loading and scoring the cylinder when rotating and loading the gun. Its' like one scratch is from the edge of the sideplate and the second scratch is from the screw. It seems like the shooting keeps doing this until something falls off. Jackson
Took the words right out of my mouth.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
wow, that makes so much sense.
had to be something that was fixed to make such a straight line.

thanks for the education.
that's why i'm here! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts