Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen where the word "MODEL" is spelled "MODLE" on the right side of the slide on any of the reissue 70's? I am looking at one locally and this is the picture I am looking at. It sure looks like "MODLE" to me.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well I can't let this thread die without comment. This pistol was produced before spellcheck was installed on the rollmark computer....;)

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
The die was obviously cut by the grandson of the guy who did the company's early 20th Century "Calibre" markings.

To be serious, no: I have not seen that kind of error, but bad marks do show up on almost any company's guns from time to time. I have a Hi-Standard Model B where the B is preceded by a double quotation mark (the standard marking) but followed by a single quotation mark. I argue that the company was converting to a wartime footing and quotation marks were in short supply, so they economized on production until the next shipment came in.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
So you haven't seen it in person? The photo is not as sharp as it could be. Trying to work with it doesn't help much but with some filters it did look like MODEL spelled correctly.

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
In blowing up the picture on my screen, it is probably spelled correctly, but the enlargement loses sharpness so I cannot be absolutely sure. In support of that, IF the roll die had a misspelled word, it seems unlikely that it would have been used after the first use when the error would have been revealed. I suspect roll dies are VERY carefully checked to avoid such errors.

Why not ask the seller?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts