Colt Forum banner

mold problem

955 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  longranger 
#1 ·
I have a 2 cavity 230gr 45LRN RCBS mold and it is casting in the 241gr range using No.2 alloy. My Lyman molds cast just slightly under advertised weight so I do not think it is an alloy issue. The mold is clean and closes completely so I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

#3 · (Edited)
240+ weight for a 45 Auto in a style that feeds and functions well is a handloaders dream. Working up the perfect combination of components would be a labor of love. For my own use I would cast a softer alloy than #2 for use in a 45 Auto or a 45 A.R., that would give me a slightly heavier bullet of the same dimensions and make it even more desirable.

As an aside: You can call RCBS and see what they say. They offer superior customer service.

#5 ·
Different moulds for different bullet styles are designed to cast a certain weight bullet with a certain alloy. I have noticed Lyman rates bullet weight in their moulds for magnum cartridges using linotype and standard bullets with #2 alloy. Where did you get your alloy? Is it certified?

My guess is that your alloy is high in lead content for that mould, but who cares as long as the bullets come out looking good. I have several different moulds from 148 gr to 500 gr. None of them cast to exactly the advertised weight. Don't sweat it..

#6 ·
I wouldn't mind the weight so much if they grouped well but my new gold cup don't like them at all so far. The alloy is from a good reliable source. I size them .452 with Lyman super moly lube and set them on 3.5gr of Clays in mixed brass (mostly Winchester). I loaded some last night and bumped the charge to 4.0 of Clays to see if a little more speed is all they need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.