Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and search and found lots of info but no answer to my question. Recently bought Colt Agent, not rounded front sight but the one that came after with ramp but tapered barrel. It does not have the post 1966 frame, it has the large round hole in the frame not like after 1966 so believe pre 1966. It came with decent factory grips which look great And were important to me for the Guns value but I want to shoot it and even with Tyler adapter not great to shoot.

I’d like to put on slightly larger grips. I contacted Hogue about their grips and said only post 1965. Pachmayr first said no problem with Compaq but with some more questions I asked after first reply I’m not convinced they knew what they were talking.

So does anyone know of a currently available grip larger than the factory panels for this gun?

JeB

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
All Agents should have the short grip frame. After '66 all D-frames went to the short Agent frame. Are you sure it's not a different Colt D-frame with an Agent barrel? Is the frame steel or aluminum?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aluminum frame. From pics I have seen of 1966 and later Agents frame with grips off looks different, I’ve read some say it was even shorter than pre 1966 but the used a variety of grip designs to get length with grips wherever they wanted from Agent to DS.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
I've seen a few Cobras and Agents without the circular hole cut out...I guess the minimal weight loss wasn't worth the labor time to mill it out. The outside grip frame dimensions should be the same.

Agents were usually equipped with shorter stocks than the Detective Specials and Cobras...even with the short grip frame. Pachmayr Compacs should fit that fine. Pachmayr Presentation grips will fit as well as they're molded to fit both short and long frame D-frame Colts. Stocks from the new Cobra/King Cobra fit the same as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What's the serial number on this gun? Just out of curiosity. I've never seen an agent with the longer grip frame.

With that being the case though, just do a general search for long d-frame grips, rather than the short d-frame grips you'd normally see post-66. There should be an abundance of available grips. A simple search on eBay yielded some of the following:

As long as the description describes it as fitting a long frame and the pictures visually back that up, then I say it'd be a safe buy.

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
From introduction through 1965, the Agent had a shorter full frame with stocks the same shape as the frame. In 1966, Colt shortened the butt frame even more on all D-frames, and then used different overlapping stocks to create the butt length desired. The Agent had shorter stocks to duplicate the Pre-1966 butt length and shape. The Detective Special, Cobra and Police Positive Special had longer stocks to duplicate the Pre-1966 butt length and shape.

It seems silly to me to want to lengthen the stocks on a full-frame Agent. The Agent was designed with a shorter butt frame to make the gun smaller than a Cobra or Detective Special. Full-frame Agents are uncommon and collectible.

If you want a longer butt D-frame, sell the Agent and buy a Cobra, or a Post-1965 D-frame of any version and use the stocks that overlap the most to make the longer butt you seek. I do not believe you will find any aftermarket stocks for an original full-frame Agent. The reference to "long frame" above is to full-frame, Pre-1966 Cobras, Detective Specials and Police Positive Specials, NOT to full-frame Pre-1966 Agents, which have a much shorter full-frame. You MIGHT be able to adapt Post-1965 Cobra/Detective Special stocks to the Agent to get the longer butt you seek. Get a set and start whittling!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies but I am missing something about the references to long frame. It is an Agent and clearly not DS length frame. In my research I saw a comment referring to rubber grips as Goodyear’s. Funny. I get it. I bought this gun instead of a DS because I found prices much more reasonable for Agents and I don’t see myself owning multiple. I think I’ll just order a set of Compaq’s and give them a try. I just thought someone else may have already tried this.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
There's reasons why the Agents generally go for less money...they're not "Snake" guns though an Agent is essentially no different from a Cobra outside of the name on the barrel. They also only were available in .38 Special where the Cobra could be had in several calibers.

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
I will try again. The full-frame Agent only shares the size and shape of its stocks only with the Courier. While Pachmayr Compaq stocks may well go on a full-frame Agent, they will have a large void below the agent's frame. Whether that will result in a wobbly feel to the installed stocks, I do not know. My guess is that it will.

SW makes a good point about the Cobra "snake" name adding value. To me, the relative scarcity of the full-frame Agent adds more value, but I may be in a minority there. I suspect most of the Agents seen at reduced prices compared to Cobras are abbreviated-frame Agents, NOT the scarce full-frame Agents. In addition, there are rough-finish "Agents" made during the strike years that do not have as much market value as Cobras. (Strangely, as another example of Colt's awful tendency to bastardize names and models and features, these rough-finish "Agents" had long overlapping un-checkered stocks!)

It is obvious from this thread that many do not realize there is a difference between full-frame Agents and Post-1965 abbreviated-frame Agents and other Post-1965 D-frames also sharing the abbreviated butt-frame.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Some of the strike-era rough finished Agents were the worst appearing factory handguns Colt ever produced. Poorly fit side plates...little to no prep work before the finish was applied...really horrible looking even if they did perform well. I also saw some many very nice Agents from the same time period. Basically...if it went together and functioned it went out the door.

Reactions: VaqueroAZ

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I think the reason that the Colt's AGENT sells for a bit less then the COBRA or Detective Special is that they are difficult to shoot.
You can search eBay or look for Herrett's grips, but as the Judge pointed out the grips will not fit properly. One option would be to get stocks for the shorter grip frame and cut them out to fit.

IMO your AGENT should be set aside as is, and buy a later version or a Cobra / Det. Spl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts