Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I travel parts of 5 states for my job and although the miles get long I do get to stop at a number of gun shops off the beaten path. Here I am again able to share stories about my finds. I stopped and did the deal on the 4" DS-II this morning. Down the road a bit I stopped at a shop to snoop around and they said the magic words "we have a few NIB Colts from the '90s that they aren't making any more." Including a 6" King Cobra, S/S .22s both 4 1/2 and 6" versions and a couple of others. I'm thinking about the 6" .22. Then this afternoon I found a Kodiak which I have never seen. It was in great condition except someone had taken a small wire brush in a drill or dremel and "swirled" the finish all over. The gun shop owner said it came from the Custom Shop like this but the photos I've seen here don't show anything like that. With the finish altered I'm thinking $1000 is too much.
Anyone have one of these?
Darnell

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've got a Kodiak. One or 2 other members if I recall correctly also have one.

I don't know what you mean by swirled, but you are aware that the SS guns do have a certain grain to them, right? Even the high polished SS guns show a certain grain.

Also many SS guns came from the factory with conspicuous polish marks. Kind of like a large arc pattern. Most noticeable on the large flat sides.

Good decision on the 4" DSII. Clearly being on the road has its advantages. You are going to go broke before you get back home!

BTW there are some pretty informative posts on the Kodiak if you search the archives.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WS23,
Thanks for the info. I searched and looked at past posts on the Kodiak. This was not the typical polish marks you see on a s/s gun. It was if someone attempted to lightly jewel the whole gun. The markings are 1/2-5/8" in diameter and completly cover the frame, cylinder and barrel, they all slightly overlap. Ruined a fine collectable gun in my opinion. I did see one for sale on Gun Broker.
I'll get the 4" DS-II cleaned up and photos posted this weekend when I get it picked up. It will be in Nebraska before I make it back.
Darnell

[This message has been edited by dghuppert (edited 03-16-2005).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts