Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Walked into the gun store today as per usual on Monday. They got an older gentleman's collection who passed and there was a Winchester 1873 in 32/20 octagonal barrel with a bronze/brass cartiage feed. A marlin lever action of similar age, Winchester 94/22 in 22 mag. And .45 acp kmber 1911 two stainless colt 1911's in .45 acp both with compensators.

Amd a few pump action 22lr gallery guns, and other odds and ends. Two ruger old army's not from the older gentleman's collection a stainless and bleued model.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That Winchester would be a doozie for the collection.....such a fun caliber!
I'm going tomorrow first thing to see what they price it at I'm curious honestly. And that Winchester 94/22 in 22 mag it's in pretty good shape. The 1873 is fully functional amd they got a box of old factory 32/20 ammo. From before 1950 by the box I'd bet sitting on the shelf. The Winchester is fully functional but it would just hang on a wall honestly I'd have to sell off some things to acquire it.

I'm more I to the old marlin they currently have or some of the gallery pump 22"s that are likely around 1900 maybe 1890's. They still have the 1912 erfurt luger n consignment I'm passing on if it doesn't sell I'm contacting the owner a few months down the road. And I'll see what happens.

Worst case scenario I'll deftinally be downsizing again in order to acquire one of those stainless colt 1911's. If they don't sell before I can get to them. And to acquire a few other things down the road I have my eyes on.

· Registered
423 Posts
I looked for months last year and finally found two Remington pump .22 short gallery guns in great condition I bought. These are neat little collectible rifles that often are really shot out. finding a great condition one is hard. I'd be checking these and the Marlin out quickly!

· Registered
173 Posts
That Winchester ‘73 in 32-20 sounds just like mine. (Check to see if it has a “B” after the serial number.)
Even with the “sewer pipe” bore, I’ve potted a few chucks with it. (using my handloads)

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That Winchester ‘73 in 32-20 sounds just like mine. (Check to see if it has a “B” after the serial number.)
Even with the “sewer pipe” bore, I’ve potted a few chucks with it. (using my handloads)
Two Winchester 1894's one 1873, all dated at just around 1900-1904. The marlin 1894 22lr early 1900's I'm Interesed in couldn't really get a date on that one sadly. decent bore the Winchester aren't shot out but well used. There is a stevens model 70, and a savage 22lr pump also that I'd be happy to nab. Not shot out but it's well used being honest and it's semi reasonable price wise.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's there tomorrow I'm trading into the Steven's model 70 pump action. It's a cool little gun. Photo is just for reference. The one they got has some miles on it.

Attachments

· Registered
173 Posts
If it's there tomorrow I'm trading into the Steven's model 70 pump action. It's a cool little gun. Photo is just for reference. The one they got has some miles on it.
I have one of those . . . .
I believe it’s called a “Visible Loader”.
As it has an anemic action, do NOT shoot high speeds through it . . . .only Standard velocity.
(Look carefully at that “thin” piece of metal that holds the breech block closed, and you’ll understand why.)
Mine will sometimes not feed the 40 grain cartridges . . . .the cartridge sorta’ “droops” nose heavy as the breech block tries to push the cartridge into the chamber.
I have to manually lift the nose a mite to help it.
Otherwise . . .a nifty little rifle.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have one of those . . . .
I believe it’s called a “Visible Loader”.
As it has an anemic action, do NOT shoot high speeds through it . . . .only Standard velocity.
(Look carefully at that “thin” piece of metal that holds the breech block closed, and you’ll understand why.)
Mine will sometimes not feed the 40 grain cartridges . . . .the cartridge sorta’ “droops” nose heavy as the breech block tries to push the cartridge into the chamber.
I have to manually lift the nose a mite to help it.
Otherwise . . .a nifty little rifle.
Thanks for the heads up on that i did look at the breech block and given the age I though yeah i'm not putting high velocctiy anything in this. Even though it's a 22LR i don't trust it

· Registered
2,809 Posts
Be careful with buying a Visible Loader. They have the nickname "Miserable Loader". Sometimes, you get lucky and find one that functions properly, but most of them have feeding issues. Before buying one, go to rimfire central and do a search on them. Might get lucky, but the other guns you mentioned sound more practical.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be careful with buying a Visible Loader. They have the nickname "Miserable Loader". Sometimes, you get lucky and find one that functions properly, but most of them have feeding issues. Before buying one, go to rimfire central and do a search on them. Might get lucky, but the other guns you mentioned sound more practical.
Thanks I read up on the model 70's today on lunch. I did discover they are a nightmare or they function. And getting them feeding is a nightmare worst case scenario it's a wall hanger gun. This one does feed nicely though from what i can gather. I'm dumping off two guns I don't use a whole lot maybe 4 I might get that marlin 22lr lever action as well.

The marlin I would actually use a good bit.

· Registered
3,653 Posts
The Stevens is a neat looking gun but not much else. I would pass on it, I often sell average everyday guns to acquire better and more expensive guns, Quality over quantity. The 73 and the Marlin may be the two best investments if you can get them right. 94/22 rifles have gotten crazy in price when the condition is high.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Couldn't agree more saw one of the Winchesters sell the 1873 has no finish on tbe reciver left. Barrel was good wood was rough the marlin had seen some days. But the bore is good on it and it's functional.

The Winchester 94/22 is a smidgen under a grand. The Steven's is priced just right... marlin 650 I'd say it's fair.

· Registered
3,653 Posts
The high dollar Winchester collectors will scoff at this type of gun but many people would love to own it just as it sits. As long as they are not cut up or wrecked they are good to. Once you start to add blue to the receiver the price starts going up fast.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
True it's around 1904 after I looked closer. The gun store is a zoo lately two colt 1911's, one kimber. A batch an over priced luger, a wall of remington shotguns, benelli, and Winchesters. Two ruger old army's stainless and bleued.

You can't get a look at anything. The luger hasn't been re areseneled though. But it's your garden variety 1912 erfurt luger after a week of digging into it.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welp the marlin sold, both 1894's and the 1873 pending I bet. So did the two colt 1911's and the kimber. I made our with the stevens though for not alot of money out of pocket. That's all I could acquire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts