Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at this particular Mossberg Cruiser, 12 ga., 18 1/2" barrel with pistol grip as a home defense weapon. It is a mean looking dude with the jagged doorbreak barrel. Wanted to get some opinions from this forum before I moved forward on a purchase. Liked the short barrel on this shotgun, but looking for some opinions. Is this a good choice or can someone recommend another brand of shotgun? How is the Mossberg quality compared to some other brands out there. Big thing is the short barrel. Look forward to hearing from you all.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I think the Mossberg is a good shotgun, and would serve well for a home defense gun. But, I am not partial to "pistol" grip only shotguns. i Like to shoulder a long arm because I feel I have better control when I fire it. Pistol grips look nasty but firing .12 00 buck with no support other then your wrist is not something I would recommend. This is just my opinion. I have a O/U Mossberg Maverick that has 18 inch barrels and a full stock as my home defense shotgun, and I love it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
This Mossberg 500 would serve you well as a home-defense weapon.

The 590 would do nicely also.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blademan: Thank you for your quick reply. This is the kind of information that I am looking for. Certainly agree with You about the only support being your wrist. I am not that young of a man anymore and not sure if I would have the control I wish with 00 buck. Will need to test fire a few shells before making a decision.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TimH: Thanks for your post and recommendations. Will need to look into both the 500 and the 590. This is going to be a home defense gun and appreciate your suggestions. Thats a nice pic of the Mossberg shotgun.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
The Mossberg 500 is as good as any pump on the market . The 590A1 series is the one used by US military .

I owned a Cruiser about 20 yrs ago . (Not my wrist but the outer web of my hand .) While it was very compact and portable , it was also painful to fire . The hole in the pistol grip where the stock bolt goes through is very sharp and after firing a dozen rds my hand was close to bleeding openly .

If you need something to hide away for an emergency it's a good configuration . If you plan on practicing at the range , it's No fun ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
guy sajer: Thank you very much for your post. Good information. This would be a weapon to hide away and hopefully never have to use. Just for an emergency situation. Have not handled the Cruiser, but will be alert to the hole in the pistol grip. Always appreciate the great insight and information that I receive whenever posting a thread. Each of You add to my knowlege base and it is most helpful. Thanks again !!

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
If you shop carefully , some 500's include the std black synthetic stock as well as the cruiser grip . You can switch .

I also like that the safety button is thumb accessible on the receiver top rear .

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Don't waste your money.
The pistol-grip-only Mossberg is a very poor selection for...much of anything.
Hard to control, uncomfortable to fire, can't be aimed efficiently.
No professional defensive shooting school instructor will recommend one, law enforcement on the whole ignores it for those reasons.
You will never need or use the door breacher feature.
The gun sells to people who don't know any better.

You may hear from an occasional mall ninja type who loves it precisely because it does "look" mean, and they may actually have achieved some minor proficiency with one, at close ranges.
But- very inefficient & nowhere near as versatile or as capable as a stocked version.

Nothing wrong with the Mossbergs in general, just avoid that one.
You can expand your defensive horizons substantially with even a basic beaded plain-Jane Mossberg pump, more so by going with a version that has adjustable sights.

The PGO gives you great compact storage and the ability to maneuver through a typical home a little tighter, but those are not fair trade-offs for what you lose with a full-stocked gun. The stocked gun gives you better recoil control, the ability to aim, faster realistic recovery between shots, and a quickly repeatable shooting position (shoulder vs hands) on every shot fired.

When I was a firearms training officer for my last PD, we had a guy show up at the range one day with a new Mossberg PGO he was very proud of.
Couldn't keep up with the shotgun training that session & I never saw him with that PGO again. He spent his money poorly & learned the hard way.
Denis

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
guy sajer & DPris: Thanks for all the good information guys. You have provided some very good points. I found it most helpful and have decided not to pursue the pistol grip Mossberg. Am confident this information has also proved valuable to other forum members following this thread. Am going to step back and study up on another shotgun that would provide excellent home defense. Definitely will go with a full stocked gun.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'll also second (or third) all of the previous comments. You can't go wrong with either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870...both have been used by the military and police departments for years. As guy sajer mentioned, there is a Mossberg set that comes with both the full and cruiser stock that would give you the option of using either.

Another option would be to get the Mossberg 500 Tactical which has an adjustable stock. I realize that some will dismiss this as "tacticool", but I'm a fan of adjustable buttstocks. You can go shorter to make it more maneuverable in a corridor and longer for more open areas. Another benefit is that it be usable by more folks of different sizes. I put an adjustable tactical stock on a Mossberg Int 20 gauge so that I can use it (6'2" and need a 37" in long sleeve shirts) and my soon-to-be-wife (5'1" and a "youth model" 870 has too long a length of pull) can also use it.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50278.jpg

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have the Mossberg Persuader 8 shot, that came with both the pistolgrip and full butstock. Tried the pistol grip.....once. It now resides in a handy location with the full buttstock installed. Excellent shotgun, by the way.

·
Registered
933 Posts
In my opinion, the Mossberg Cruiser would be a very good choice for "home defense". As aforementioned, it is not a range gun nor is it a hunting piece - it would be for "home defense". Easy to control in tight places that you might only have to fire once or twice or maybe never, once a shell is racked. As a side note, I would use number 4 shot for home defense - much better option in a dark house. Believe it or not, you have to be "right on" target with 00 shot at short distances or you could easily miss in the dark. In addition, 00 buckshot can easily penetrate through a wall, possibly causing unforeseen damage and harm to others.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think the Mossberg is a good shotgun, and would serve well for a home defense gun. But, I am not partial to "pistol" grip only shotguns. i Like to shoulder a long arm because I feel I have better control when I fire it. Pistol grips look nasty but firing .12 00 buck with no support other then your wrist is not something I would recommend. This is just my opinion. I have a O/U Mossberg Maverick that has 18 inch barrels and a full stock as my home defense shotgun, and I love it.

i have to agree,a shotgun with a stock is much better choice .

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GSO: Thanks for the recommendation on the Mossberg 500 Tactical. The adjustable stock is interesting. The fact that is has been used by the military and LE will give me serious thought. Thanks also for the pic.

y2kdon: Interesting point you make about the Persuader. Your experience with the pistol grip and full stock pretty much validates what the other guys are stating.

Pointman: Thanks for your endorsement of the Cruiser as a good "home defense" shotgun. Had never considered #4 shot for inside the home use. Sure makes sense. Thanks for the tip.

montegomx70: Thanks for the post. Seems pretty much unanamious (sp), that a shotgun with a stock is the way to go. Going to look more at the Maverick with an 18" barrel. In the meantime, I will continue to trust my DS in the nightstand until I can get a better grasp on the right decision.

Again, want to say thanks to all that have posted on this thread. You have given me lots of good information and it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just a thought, I purchased the Mossy 500 Persuader 18", put a Hogue Youth Model stock on it, very maneuverable, easy handling, short stock makes it "wife usable". Strictly for home defense purposes, short and easy to use. Anyway, works for me/us. Loaded with "low recoil" buck makes it shootable for the female side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts