Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think is the most accurate caliber in the SAA? All of my SAAs are 45 and and chamber mouths .455-456 and although they are accurate enough for fun. they are far from being tack drivers. I really would love to get a real tack driver.

I'm real interested in getting a 32-20, but have a feeling you boys are gonna tell me to get a 38 special.

Thanks in advance for any of your opinions and suggestions.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
It's not always about the gun. Componets and Individiual shooters make the remainder of the equation. Don't just buy any fiream based soley on a individuals shooters experience or lack thereof.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you shoot this revolver well already then, you'll likely have better groups with a 38 spl. I would believe the 7 1/2" bbl would be a bit tighter but, I'd probably shoot the 5 1/2" bbl. as it's going to be un-noticeable for most recreational shooters.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My 3rd gen 5.5 inch barrel SAA in 45 Colt is an extremely accurate revolver. From 25 yards off a rest if I do my part correctly which does not always happen she will group under 2 inches, thats plenty good enough for what I need. I use pills sized to 452 250g RNFP backed by 7.8g of Universal. The 45 Colt is an accurate cartridge without doubt. But you have to experiment and be prepared to give it lots of time/practice. Most 3rd gen guns as you say have chamber mouths that are a fair bit larger than the bore.

Trad, try some 454 sized pills, you might be surprised. I have known some recent 3rd gen guns shoot them extremely well, they also had 455/456 chamber mouths. Dont give up on the 45.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Trad Archer

If you really have your heart set on a .32-20, I think I'd get it. Get what you want, experiment a bit, & I'll bet you come up with a load that suits you. Having the gun you really want is worth a lot.
If you don't get the one you want, chances are later on down the road you will wish you had & buy it. I'd get what I really wanted the first time around.
Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts