Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Python guru's,
I know that the 2 1/2" is the most desirable (for collect-ability and resale) barrel length for python. What I'm unsure of is the rest (3/4/6/8" barrels)... If you had to put them in order, what would they be?

#1: 2 1/2"
#2:?
#3:?
#4: 6"??

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd put the 6" ahead of the 4" or at the very least equal. Prices are indifferent, but most guys I've come across wanting a Python are looking for the 6" because it's the original length.

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
As far as Rarity goes, its like this:
3"
8"
2.5"
4"
6"

As far as desirability, it is whichever one you want the worst. The 8 inch gun is the second rarest, but most people consider it the least desirable. I don't fall into that group, I like them all :). The 6 inch was the most desirable during production which is why they made the most of them.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Obviously 'desirable' takes on two different meanings from the standpoint of collectability vs shooting prowess. I'd put the 3 inch ahead of the rest for collections and the 8 inch ahead in terms of shooting. But I might rate the 2.5 inch for top of the heap in the 'looks' department. :cool:

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
This is a question that has a constantly changing answer.
Depending on the market, the most preferred barrel length changes.
Some periods the 6" is the most popular, then the 4". At various times in the past, the 2 1/2" was almost unsaleable, and different barrel lengths can be more or less popular in various areas of the country.

About the best you can come up with is a "snap shot" of the moment that's only valid for a short period of time.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
If you break the barrel lengths down to finishes it gets even more interesting. The 8" Nickel finished .38 Specials are darn tough to find. Any Nickel finished 3" Python would be a rarity. Certainly the Carol Wilkerson "round-butt" 3" barreled guns have to be some of the rarest.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I like my 2.5" and 4" pistolas. :cool:

Reactions: 68python

·
Registered
475 Posts
I like the 8 inch Python . I can out shoot all my friends with the 8" when they only have 4 or 6 " , ( maybe I hang around bad shooters ). Also with the 8" , there is more to admire . ( that sounded a little weird )

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
If when I was a young boy hunting, playing, and shooting in the woods you could've pulled me aside and said "Imagine in your mind the worlds coolest revolver", I would've closed my eyes and the image my young mind would've conjured up would be a 2 1/2" Python. 25 years later when I seen my first 2 1/2" Python it was as if a dream came to life before my very eyes. Now that I own many of all barrel lengths I will have to give my vote to the 3" as the most desirable but the Coolest still has to go to the 2 1/2".

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I personally always loved the look and balance of the 6" Python. As for wanting order?3"2.5"6"8"4"I never cared for the 4. It never appealed to me. The 3" looks more balanced and fits beter for concealment and duty usefulness.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Barrel lengths are one part, but it's finish that make the Python. My 4" Royal Blue, with a nice pair of wooden grips is the best. It's the Goldilocks's, not short, not long, not dull, or shiny, just a beautifully built Royal Blued killer!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
My favorite is the 2 1/2". The shorter the better. I hope the new Python will be made in a snubbie too!

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.