Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys consider to be the most famous Colt in existence today? Not a model, but an individual piece.

My vote would probably go towards General Patton's SAA.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would have to say Wyatt Earp's "Buntline Special."

Now, I know there is some controversy surrounding the gun as to whether it even existed but I like to believe it did and would consider it the most famous Colt.

Here is some interesting reading on the subject: Wyatt Earp's Buntline Special

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I would have to say Wyatt Earp's "Buntline Special."

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting that the same answer came to my mind. Probably relates to wanting to be a cowboy when I grew up. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
BTW In retrospect, I probably should have. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Re: How about Barney Fife\'s \"baby\"

Colt offical police. I am sure in a real danger situation, Andy would have authorized a full cylinder load of ammo. Just kidding. Mike

·
Registered
345 Posts
How about Col.Walkers personal gun?I heard he got two of them from Sam Colt and he also was killed in a battle with one of them at his side.Another Colt comes to mind would be the Cobra that Jack Ruby used on Lee Oswald.If I'm wrong on either one,,please correct me as these are just what popped into my head from earlier reading and might be wrong.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Chevis, I read walkers account, but I could be foggier than you on this, but I thought he was killed shortly before receiving them! Anyway like a clock, one of us is right!

·
Registered
689 Posts
How about the one (I think it was a Colt) that John W. Booth use to assinate Lincoln???

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just finished scimming through a book on this and it was a .44 single shot short barreled pistol by Henry Derringer (sp?) of Phila, PA he used and when cornered in the barn in VA he was shot by a trooper through a crack between the boards when he was back lit by the fire. The trooper used a revolver so it could have been a Colt. Booth was shot though the neck and died after daylight on the front porch of the house.

The derringer is in a musuem but the Colt was lost to history as the ecentric trooper turned it back in to the Army when he left the service. He was considered very ecentric because he mutilated himself by castration to keep thoughts of sinning from entering his mind. The trooper never profited from shooting Booth though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you consider self-castration ecentric. I don't want to know what you think is bizare behavior.

Dave

·
Registered
144 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
What would you guys consider to be the most famous Colt in existence today? Not a model, but an individual piece.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the jewel-encrusted "Sears Colt" SAA that sat in a Chicago Sears store for years and was finally sold at auction along with tools, paint and other surplus merchandise. As I recall, the purchase price was $350. The gun is now valued at one million dollars.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
That might also be the Colt Cobra used to kill Lee Harvey Oswald.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The soldier who killed Booth was named Boston Corbett, and you are correct: he did castrate himself. Weird.

As an aside, this is another one of those coincidences between the Kennedy and the Lincoln assassinations that keep popping up. Both assassins were killed before trial, both with a single shot from a Colt revolver.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
the colt single action army with the serial number 1 and worth a million dollars,as seen on the history channel
I’d go with this one because it is the daddy of all the historical SAA’s that came after it.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
How about a Colt Walker, serial # 22 which is the only engraved Walker known. Its at RIA this month on the auction block. That may well sell for over a million.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Maybe not the most famous, but certainly one of the most valuable. Often called the most valuable gun in the world. The Colt Dragoon presented to the Sultan of Turkey by Samuel Colt. George Repaire was reported to have turned down a 5 million dollar offer before he donated it to the MET.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I’d go with Sam Walker’s ACTUAL revolvers, the whereabouts of which are unknown today, but if found, would be unnumbered.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts