Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A very general question, perhaps. What pre-war Colt is usually considered by aficionados to be the most premium? I'm talking about the most care given to the build, construction and materials, fit/finish, accuracy, factory trigger tuning, etc. Essentially, which specific models are the Triple Lock Target, Registered Magnum or Python of the pre-war Colts, in any caliber? Officer's Model Target, maybe?

Edit: And I don't necessarily mean "most desirable" or "rarest." Just the most prestigious, best made, all that. Also, I think I'm mostly interested in the years between 1910-1940.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I guess this depends mostly on the person and variables like the what they like/personal experience/etc., but I would guess the Shooting Master. My personal favorite is the "3rd Series" Pre-war Officer's Model.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
The Shooting Master was the most expensive Pre-war revolver. That makes it the "Premium" Pre-War Colt revolver by default, does it not?

In 1936, the Officers Model Target list price was a mere $40.75, while the New Service Target listed for $50.00 and the Shooting Master topped out at a whopping $52.50. For comparison, the National Match and Super Match listed at $44.25 with adjustable sights, and only $40.75 with fixed sights.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The two which come to my mind first, as above, would be the New Service 'Shooting Master', or really any New Service Target Models, and, the 'Officers Model' Target versions of the Army Special.

Probably too, with these, would be the Police Positive Target Models as well, of course.

But musing on this a moment longer, I think we would have to include the Target version the Colt SAA and of the SAA Bisley Model, also!

As for overall Fit & Finish and 'Quality' of these various ones, I am sure, they were all on par.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
"Pre-War" is generally considered to mean the time between the two world wars, but surely not before 1910. The Single Action Army Target and the Bisley were not made "Pre-War." (Yes, I know that the Bisley was made until 1912, so I am stretching the 1910 limit a bit.) The Police Positive Target" was only $30.00 in 1936, so, in my opinion, it is far from being the "Most premium Colt Pre-War Revolver." There can only be one "most premium." That has to be the Shooting Master.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I'd go with both the New Service based Shooting Master and the Officer's Model Target.
Both were Colt's premium Target revolvers and both were built to Colt's highest standards of the day.
I'll side with "the wheel" though I find the New Service and the New Service Shooting Master almost redundant except for barrel length, so I'll slightly deviate with the New Service .45COLT over the .45ACP (personal preference) and the Officers Model Target. I find the OMT action to be one of the best I've experienced. Pre-war Colt DA swing out cylinder revolvers are in a class by themselves and it's so very difficult to side with one over the other, though we manage to maintain favorites.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,448 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with the Shooting Master since they just didn't come across the bench.

Considering that they cost $10.00 more then the Officer's Model Target, does anyone know WHY. Was it fit and finish, or features the OMT didn't have?

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
I move that all responses mentioning more than one revolver be stricken as nonresponsive. :D

This thread is entitled "Most "premium" pre-war Colt revolver?" It is not entitled "Name several nice Colt revolvers." "Revolver" is singular. "Most premium" is not "more premium." "Most" is absolute. That means there can be only ONE "most." "Premium" can mean "most expensive" or "best." There is no Pre-War Colt revolver more expensive than the Shooting Master. It therefore meets the first qualification.

Colt catalogs describe the Shooting Master this way: "It is a de luxe product of Colt ingenuity and Colt craftsmanship - and stands out as the finest and most accurate target Revolver yet produced." "Finest and most accurate" certainly qualifies as "best." Even the box is a special "premium" box, different from every other Pre-War Colt box.

I rest my case.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.