Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy Python , what would be the most popular one other than say a Python Hunter? I had one in the early 80's a six inch blue and kick myself in the butt for ever getting rid of it.(That & a few other guns thru the years.)Stupid question aren't they all Royal Blue or is it a different finish than others. Any certain years and what would be the serial number range? I prefer a 6 or 4 inch model and I would shoot it.any help would be great,Thanks.

·
Registered
991 Posts
This web site gives the serial number ranges up through 1978:

http://proofhouse.com/colt/

I prefer any earlier Python up to the "E" series prefix or suffix serial numbers. Just my personal taste. The "V" series are great and the "K" series from the early 80's I think are good also. But you can't beat a real early Python (50's, 60's and early 70's).

Most popular Python? Six inch blue. Finishes: Blue, Nickel and later the high polish stainless steel; also electroless nickel (yuck). Quite a few variations if you just do some reading through the old posts here on the forum.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
what would be the most popular one other than say a Python Hunter?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not say that the Python Hunter is popular, yet alone the most popular.
I would have to agree with manderson as the most popular, or should I say, most common Python would be the 6 inch in Colt Blue.
As far as the most sought after goes, I'm not sure I know the answer to that. I think it's changed from time to time.
There's also personal taste that plays into this.
I think if you asked 10 people, you would get 4 or 5 answers.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
778 Posts
My favorite if I was buying perhaps just one, or my first one would be a 6" Python in ultimate stainless finish.

If you were careful with it, you could shoot it all you want, and polish out any marks you make, and still have a valuable collector grade revolver.

That happens to be the one stainless Python we are looking for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts