Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Blued Police Positive Target 22 with 6" barrel made in 1928 arrive today. It is in good shape with about 85% finish. Good bore, and locks up tight.

It is sporting a beautiful pair of mother of pearl stocks. I took them off, and they are genuine. These stocks were part of the reason for buying the gun.

If they were factory would they have had Colt medallions? They have a circular indention at the top where they meet the frame.

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i dont think colt had a medallion till AROUND the time of ww1. "please dont quote me on the exact date" when was the gun made?? some factory pearls without medallions i have seen have a scallop near the top. i THINK this was changed when the medallions were introduced.this is just my opinion based on personal observation.lacking a factory letter i would compare them to a simular vintage gun that letters the pearl stocks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
FWIW - Your BOCFA says that the hard rubber with the fluer-de-lis were standard until about 1923 when they were replaced by checkered walnut with the colt medallion insert. Also that pearl and ivory grips were available, but no detail as to whether they would have medallions. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your help. The gun was made in 1928. The stocks have a scallop at the top. I am assuming they are factory until if, and when I learn otherwise.

Cute little gun. Wish it was 95-98%, but then it would not have been $205.00 on GB.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Robba,

I'd like to know if there is any way to tell without a factory letter also. I posted this picture before, as I suspect these pearls are not factory, only because the escutcheon is brass, and the screw does not look as well made as factory, although it matches the blue of the hammer and trigger. What kind of hardware does yours have? Would it have been the same as used on hard rubber stocks? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
907 Posts
Did some snooping on Sam Lisker's www.coltautos.com under "gun of the month". Probably the best array of pearls on the net. He shows the first Model M shipped with pearl stocks in 1903 with no medallions, but then as early as 1912 Colt was using the same "deep dish" medallions as on Officers Models of the same period. It looks like the medallions changed style at about the same time regardless of the material the stocks were made from. Also notice in the close-ups how the escutcheons are milled around the outside rim to keep from turning - the ones pictured above aren't /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif which further makes me believe they aren't from Colt. Anyway, that's maybe a clue...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am begining to believe mine are not factory. They probably should in 1928 have had Colt medallions. Also one really strange thing is that they have an allen head screw holding them together.

One of the reasons that I love these old guns is, that lordy knows what people did to them over the years.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You're right. I have one set with someone's name scratched on the inside and another with notches cut in the butt - makes you wonder where they've been.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A really strange thing about this gun is that there is no rampant Colt on the left side of the frame where it normally is. The side plate there is a different shade of blue. But the fits are perfect. Inspectors stamp is there.

This gun perhaps went back to Colt at sometime during is former life. Barrel says Police Positive Cal 22., last patent date is July 4, 1905.

Anyway I'm glad we bought it, and we intend to shoot it with standard vel. 22's.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Re: 1913 pearl has medallions

My 1913 PP in .32 NP has pearl grips. There are colt medallions in the upper, circular part of the grips. They fit so well I've assumed original.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
For what it is worth, I have a 1933 blue .22 Bankers Special with factory pearl stocks (confirmed by the factory letter) that DO NOT have the medallions. The screw is nickeled.

I have speculated that Colt did not consider the small-frame guns as having enough room at the top to allow installation of the medallions and still have enough material left to maintain sufficient strength. However, I doubt that is true since there are pictures in catalogs of small-frame Colts with pearl stocks with medallions.

Perhaps they were optional. I will have to check some price lists to see if they say anything about medallions or none.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Thanks Judgecolt, I've been trying to fathom what pearls are "real colt" and not, according to the medallions.

I'm beginning to wonder if my PP originally had something else, I note the medallions are not the deep-set type, which I think was the standard in 1913. But I'm still learning.

I like the looks anyway, but don't shoot the gun. Here's a pic if I can do this correctly:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts