Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6920 SOCOM with an Aimpoint PRO and am thinking about getting a 3x magnifier but am running out of real estate
One of the reasons for the PRO was it came with a mount for the price and by itself it's great but I'm not sure if I can fit a magnifier without removing the iron site.
I was looking at LaRue Tatctical and they have an offset mount that will place the Aimpoint past the lower receiver but not attached to the quad rail.

Has anyone done this and are they happy with the setup? Its a lot of money to spend and not be happy wwith the results.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

This is my Colt LE6920 with Knight's Armament Co. M4 same rail as on your SOCOM carbine except mine have the standard lightweight government profile barrel under the rails.

I've been using my LaRue cantilever QD mount on my Aimpoint CompM2 for about 6 years now and it is an excellent mount, return to zero is excellent, I'm using it with my magnifier also on LaRue flip to the side magnifier QD mount, the mounts are both lower 1/3 co-witness and the heights aligns perfectly.

I'm currently out of bandwidth on my Photobucket photo hosting so I can't post the pic of my magnifier and red dot optic together, but after July 8th I could post a pic of it if you want to see my setup.

Before I got my LaRue cantilever mount I had a straight high Knight's Armament Aimpoint QD mount but I can't fit my magnifier behind my red dot, on the pic shown was my older setup of LMT fixed rear sight, I had now changed that sight with my Knight's 300m folding rear sight so I could mount my magnifier.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AR15_1911 thanks for the write up and pic. I think the CompM2 is about the same size length wise so this is a good comparison. I have the MaTech BUIS which looks to be the size of the one you have in this picture which leaves me with 4 rail notches and not enough space.
I don't mind waiting till the 8th if you don't mind posting another pic with the magnifier and red dot.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm currently out of bandwidth on my Photobucket photo hosting so I can't post the pic of my magnifier and red dot optic together, but after July 8th I could post a pic of it if you want to see my setup.
Oh geeze, just email me the pic and I'll host it for you. I have an unlimited bandwidth account. coltsandkimbers at yahoo dot com

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Firearm Gun Rifle Assault rifle Trigger

Here's my Aimpoint and a converted Hensoldt magnifier on both LaRue cantilever and magnifier flip to side QD mounts.

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

My same magnifier and Aimpoint on Knight's Armament high straight QD mount, notice the tight clearance and different heights but it still works fine, my rear folding sight is a Troy 0.460 height above the rails folded.

AR15_1911 thanks for the write up and pic. I think the CompM2 is about the same size length wise so this is a good comparison. I have the MaTech BUIS which looks to be the size of the one you have in this picture which leaves me with 4 rail notches and not enough space.
I don't mind waiting till the 8th if you don't mind posting another pic with the magnifier and red dot.
Sorry, I forgot on this site that a pic could be added from the computer, so here are my pics.

Yes the Aimpoint models CompM2, M3, C3, ML series and PRO have the same mounting size of 30mm and the outer dimensions are similar.

On my bottom picture the Troy does not occupy much rail space, the T2 marking is visible in front of the Troy sight mount, it is a very tight fit that's why I went with the LaRue cantilever mount to have more room.

Zrexxer thanks for the offer but I forgot that in this site a pic could be loaded directly from the computer, thanks again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quick question by an AR newbie and new to the forum : does the Aimpoint PRO come with a mount included when you buy it new? I am thinking of attaching one to my new LE6920.Dave

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it does which is one of the appeals of the PRO it's essentially a CompML with a mount included. The issue in my case I wanted to add a magnifier I was running out of room beacuse the PRO is a little larger than some of the other mounts. For the money its a great value.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes it does which is one of the appeals of the PRO it's essentially a CompML with a mount included. The issue in my case I wanted to add a magnifier I was running out of room beacuse the PRO is a little larger than some of the other mounts. For the money its a great value.
Thank you zykur. Sorry to derail the thread.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I finally picked up a Primary Arms 3x magnifier with a twist mount as a black Friday gift to myself.
I have the Aimpoint PRO mounted as far forward on the receiver, the 3x right behind it but I don't have enough real estate to keep the BUIS on.
I know getting a cantilever mount for the Aimpoint would help out but can I mount it on the quad rail?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I know getting a cantilever mount for the Aimpoint would help out but can I mount it on the quad rail?
Most optic mount manufacturers like LaRue and others don't recommend mounting the optic on the handguard rail or even bridged between the upper receiver rail and the handguard rail, because even if the attachment of the rail is secure, but it could get loosen or bumped and your zero would be lost.

It is always recommended to mount the optics on the upper receiver rail, or if you have a Colt LE6940 with a monolithic one piece upper and handguard rails it would be OK to mount it on the rail common to the handguard.

One other way is to have a quick detachable iron rear sight like either a Colt carry handle (or mil-spec equivalent brands) or even the LMT (Lewis Machine & Tool Co.) fixed rear sight shown in my picture on my Colt M4 carbine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most optic mount manufacturers like LaRue and others don't recommend mounting the optic on the handguard rail or even bridged between the upper receiver rail and the handguard rail, because even if the attachment of the rail is secure, but it could get loosen or bumped and your zero would be lost.

It is always recommended to mount the optics on the upper receiver rail, or if you have a Colt LE6940 with a monolithic one piece upper and handguard rails it would be OK to mount it on the rail common to the handguard.

One other way is to have a quick detachable iron rear sight like either a Colt carry handle (or mil-spec equivalent brands) or even the LMT (Lewis Machine & Tool Co.) fixed rear sight shown in my picture on my Colt M4 carbine.
After trying a few mounting options I decided to order a cantilever mount since the PRO doesn't make the best use of rail space.

I noticed you have your magnifier swinging to the right. Do you have brass ejecting into the optic?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I noticed you have your magnifier swinging to the right. Do you have brass ejecting into the optic?
My magnifier only swings about 2 o'clock to the right, which is still above the rail, plenty of room from the brass ejection and my brass never hit my magnifier.

My LaRue Tactical pivot magnifier mount could also be mounted reversed to swing to the left side for left hand shooters.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I gave up on electric Aimpoint's and use the plain peeps on the handle on my L.E. Colt M4. In our latest 4 day 32 hour Swat Carbine class I out shot all the red dot and optics,eotec's.Swat teams from all over the state. All type's of shooting and barracade's and head shots at 100yds in the fetal under a car behind the wheel. I am back to base one with no gimmic's ,but good breathing and trigger control with issue peep's. A rifleman first.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I gave up on electric Aimpoint's and use the plain peeps on the handle on my L.E. Colt M4. In our latest 4 day 32 hour Swat Carbine class I out shot all the red dot and optics,eotec's.Swat teams from all over the state. All type's of shooting and barracade's and head shots at 100yds in the fetal under a car behind the wheel. I am back to base one with no gimmic's ,but good breathing and trigger control with issue peep's. A rifleman first.
I remember when my eye sight was good enough for that but as much as I would like to deny it age is catching up with me!

Setup is complete but my Mabus BUIS doesn't let the magnifier clear it. I may put a Magpul since they are a little more low profile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.