Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one for sale. It's in rough shape and made by MGC. Any way to trace if it's ever been in a movie?
fltsfshr

·
Registered
9,030 Posts
Why would you think it was a prop piece?

The non-gun industry made thousands upon thousands of various small arms for display and reenactor use.

Any studio or prop house markings on it?

Most I've seen are marked - some with a couple of them, because the original house sold out.

It's a non-gun - there would be zero requirement to track any serial number.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
MGC is a Japanese company that makes tons of nice replicas and model kits of firearms. They don't have unique serial numbers.
Like dogface said, unless it has a prop-house stamp and iron-clad provenance there's no way to tell, but chances are 99.99% it's not a movie prop, and has been enjoyed and played with by someone(s).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just following something I heard from the owner. I wondered if how and where prop houses marked their stuff and could it be traced through that.
fltsfshr

·
Registered
9,030 Posts
Metal stamping and electro-pencils marked the metal - an ink stamp marked the leather.

These were made of a zinc-like metal that looked good initially, but the exterior finish was light plating and paint - both wore quickly and give a 'well-worn' look.

These things are still being made somewhere - they're 1:1 scale paperweights.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Not all prop guns were real guns case in point: we were at a gun show and there was an M14 for sale. Obviously by the price it could not have been a real M14 as it had the selector switch. Another giveaway was the orange tongue sticking out of the flash suppressor. This rifle looked just like a real M14.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've got a mgc tommy gun. buddy was going to throw it away and I just had to bring it home. I read some of these will cycle certain blank ammo. And the non firing ones can be converted to shoot the blanks. mine just has the empty drum. jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts