Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK fellas, I could use some ideas/suggestions/experiences/advice/whatever the heck you care to share.

In about a month, after 37 years, I'm hanging up my gunbelt (well, at least the black basket-weave one) here in Seattle, and the wife and I will be moving to Texas (around the Round Rock/Georgetown area). One of my concerns, and there's a bunch of 'em, is how to safely, and securely, move my Colt/Winchester collection. There's about 60 handguns, 18 rifles/carbines, and one heck of alot of ammunition.

Professional movers will take all else house-wise for this move as it's too big as a U-Haul do-it-yourselfer job. But I'm hesitant to include my firearms within those trucks. I've thought about one smaller U-Haul with just those items but am still recovering from some "difficulties" and that 3+ day drive may be a bit much still. Even the two Chevrolets are probably going to ship. The safes are all sold as I got a great price for them and will be able to replace them down there cheaper and with less trouble than transporting them.

So if any of you have suggestions in regard specialty shippers, or any other ideas/suggestions, etc., and would like to share them, I'm wide open.

And for you Texans worrying that you may have one more competitor for those elusive Texas shipped SAA's...don't. I'm retiring on a cops pay. I'll most probably just be that guy looking over your shoulder, admiring what you've found, and wishing I was in your shoes. Is there a lotto down there?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Perhaps finding a local gun store to your new home in Texas and working a deal with them where you ship the guns to the shop and go pick them up once you move. With some negotiation you can probably work the price per gun down to $5 give or take.

I had to go in and edit my post to say Welcome to the Forum so I can be faster than the guy below me!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I would also be hesitant to trust the guns in the hands of movers. I probably would let them move the ammo (perhaps package it in discreet cardboard boxes?).

Perhaps package the guns together in large boxes and use UPS / FedEx / DHL to ship them to yourself in Texas?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
It depends on what you call a collection - if it is all rare Colts and Winchesters or garden variety would affect my decision. If the former, you need to ship them by a bonded shipper or carry them yourself. If garden variety guns, sell them before you leave. The ammo should be sold before you leave unless you have rare collector's ammo. Most household type shippers will not carry ammo as it is heavy and scary to non gun types.

If the guns are true collectibles they are worth shipping with a professional shipper. I carried my guns once myself and shipped them once moving cross country. Both times they came out fine. Not about 50 guns like you but probably 20 or 25. HTH

·
Registered
141 Posts
Another welcome to TX. Tough call but if it was me I'd box everything up as if I were shipping them, rent a small Uhaul trailer, and a very good lock, stay at nice hotels, park with the trailer backed up to something, and keep my collection in my sight at all times. No stopping to see the worlds largest ball of yarn, you know? Anyway good luck and safe travels.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Short of transporting them yourself I don't have any recommendations except NEVER, NEVER trust them to a moving company. I made the mistake years ago of letting a nationally known moving company transport all of my shop tools from North Carolina to Tennessee when we relocated. Needless to say everything arrived safely except the tools. It took 18 to 20 months of never ending hassles and endless correspondence and phone calls just to recover a fraction of their value. If a 3+ day trip might be to strenuous, take a few extra days and make it a 6+ day trip.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would NEVER trust movers with my firearms and there are probably restrictions on shipping any ammunition via any of the common carriers also. The ammo would have to be declared and would be considered an explosive. When shipping ammo to me from suppliers, they had an " ORM-D" declaration on it and I am sure you would have to have that, at the least.

How are you going to ship your vehicles? I think I would have to drive one down here (Texas, and welcome to Texas) and personally watch over the move of my firearms myself. Barring that, shipping them down here to a FFL dealer is an option, albeit an expensive one.

What about just storing them somewhere in your vehicles to be shipped? Scary option but, it is an option. Don't know if I could do that, though!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I have moved several times. MD to VA to MI to NJ to IL to IA and then to TN. Each time I packed my guns (100+ handguns and 50+ rifles) tight in my two Fort Knox safes and had the movers deal with them. Each time the guns were transported safely. I can tell you one story about moving from IL to IA that in retrospect is now hilarious but could have been catastrophic. Hint: I almost had the safes go into the drink. I always moved my thousands of rounds of ammo personally. HAVE THE GUNS WELL INSURED FOR THE MOVE! Whatever you decide, good luck with your move.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Six years ago we didn't move nearly that far, the move being only 3 hours distant, so I moved roughly 60 long arms and roughly the same about of handguns by just layering and padding the longarms in the back of my pickup with blankets and furniture bads. No way I had enough gun cases, socks, and such to cover the longarms. A large assortment of zippered bank deposit bags and a few zippered pistol cases protected most the individual handguns which were then packed in surplus 60mm ammo cans for the move.

Colts, Smith & Wessons, 19th/early 20th century Winchesters, U.S military stuff in "trash 'n treasure" condition all made the journey in fine style with no ill effects.

We had "help" in the form of well-meaning friends 30 years ago when we moved about 6 years after we married. Despite my cautions and best efforts, there are some guns around here that still bear the scars of that move and a P 38 turned up missing, never to be seen again.

If you are driving through then perahps a small covered trailer provided with ample padding would work for you. Be aware of any wetness that might intrude in the trailer if you drive though rain during the journey.

Welcome to Texas! We like folks to bring all their guns and come here.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
When I used to take dozens of handguns to guns shows, I had zippered gun rugs for each handgun. I just threw the cased handguns in a duffle bag, which made for easy carry. (Real GI duffle bags are very sturdy, and have wide, strong shoulder straps, thus allowing one to throw a couple of bags at a time over each shoulder.) I would take the duffle bags into a motel room with me each night for security.

If you do not have enough gun rugs for all of your handguns, wrap them in bubble wrap. Put the cased and wrapped handguns in the duffle bag or bags. Take the bag or bags into the motel room when you stop at night. GI duffle bags will hold long guns as well, even if they stick out of the open end of the bag. (It might be advisable to bind several long guns into a bundle so that one does not shift and fall out of the bag.) If you do not have enough long gun cases, wrap them in bubble wrap as well. The flexible nature of the duffle bags and their contents will allow them to be "molded" into the space available in your vehicle. If you have some help each night, you can unload in one trip and take them into your motel room.

Put the ammunition boxes here and there into available space in your vehicle, making sure it can be hidden from view some way when you leave the vehicle.

·
Registered
192 Posts
First, welcome to Texas! Williamson county, as you probably know is just north of Travis County (Austin area). Williamson county is pretty conservative while Travis county is the liberal hot spot of Texas. Even after saying that, Travis county has most of the rest of the country beat on firearms rights.

I have some relatives in the Bellingham and Lynden areas of Washington.

I really don't have any new ideas about transporting your firearms, only to say I know you will be on pins and needles until they arrive safely in Texas. One poster mentioned selling your ammo, I would not do that as you won't get retail prices for your ammo and the prices just keep going up. For instance, I was buying Blazer aluminum cased .45 long colt a year ago or so for $39.00 per box, just checked the two days ago, the same ammo is $53.00 per box. And forget about finding .22 in large amounts.

I know it rains a lot in Seattle and generally stays cool all year. Just get ready for some 100 degree weather from around the end of June until the first of September. I think you will like living in Round Rock/Georgetown as you are just a stone toss to Austin and maybe 100 miles to San Antonio and just to the north about 150 miles is the Dallas/Ft Worth area. If you like hunting and fishing you will be in hog heaven.

Good luck on the move and I hope everything arrives safely and in the same condition as when they left Seattle.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Welcome to Texas. The motorhome idea sounds good and if can enlist help driving that would be the way to go. If not, safely pack and cushion your firearms in duffel bags as suggested by Judge and stay at motels where you can pull right up to your room. Bring contents in, sleep, put contents back in car, repeat til you get here. My brother in law is a Constable down where you're moving though they live in Hutto. Beware of Austin traffic ;) and welcome again to the Free Republic of Texas.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.