Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Wonder what the experts here think about this:

Have a 1962 PPS .38 Spl (unfired, best I can tell) and a 1932 Officers Model Target .38 Spl (very lightly use, by my estimation) and would like to have a spare set of necessary parts for each one. Done this for other firearms based on the idea of part scarcity or unavailability and what might break. Springs also.

Are parts hard to find for either one? Would there be specific parts to have?

I'd sure appreciate any thoughts on this....

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I don't know about the PPS, but I'd think that E frame revolver parts would be fairly plentiful, as there were so many E and I frame Colt revolvers made. Probably the most common problem would hammer spring replacement, and I know those are available.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about the PPS, but I'd think that E frame revolver parts would be fairly plentiful, as there were so many E and I frame Colt revolvers made. Probably the most common problem would hammer spring replacement, and I know those are available.
Thanks for the info. Do you have any thoughts on where to specifically look? Gunsmiths, parts site, whatever?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Virtually nothing is ever going to break on either of those...even if you shot them Daily for the next fifty years.

You will wear them out, before anything breaks, or wear them out without anything ever breaking, usually.

It'd be extremely rare for anything to break.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have inquired about this also. While I cannot swear to the accuracy of the advice I received (Im not a gunsmith, or anywhere close to one), it was, in my OPINION, solid advice.

I received advice (which seemed solid) that you should aim for unused parts, as many of the parts were hand fitted, and just because a used part fit someone else's gun, it doesnt mean that it will just drop into yours.

I was told that some parts did have slight changes throughout the years, so replacement parts should be time of production specific.

Also a qualified (emphasis on qualified) gunsmith may often be able to put a revolver back in time without replacing parts.

As I stated in that thread, I did end up buying a replacement hand for one of my guns, ONLY because the existing one had to be stretched (by one of our forum members here Giechal71) as I believe he stated you can only stretch a hand so much and I wanted a backup in case the one he fixed ever wore out. Ive only shot that revolver about 3 times so it was probably overkill to buy it.

I have twice been advised to stock up on ejector rod heads. This theory seems to be supported by the fact that you see Colts for sale on Gunbroker which are missing the ejector rod heads.

My basic theory on parts has come to this: I don't stress about it anymore. If I happen to see good parts for a good deal I might pick them up. If I never need it, then I can probably sell it to someone who does want it. Or more likely I'll die with them, and the person handling my estate will throw them out thinking they are just a little baggy full of unrecognizable junk!

Some parts like mainsprings are in current production by Jack First. One of their staff stated I would not be able to tell a difference between their new production and original parts. They also said they have no intention of discontinuing them so there was no real need to hoard them. I would assume that particular part is easy to make, but just wanted to throw it out there. You may want to check with them to see what they have available.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank You, this is really informative.

Glad to know about Jack First, as I never heard of him until know. We're never too old to learn something new!

And, I see the books he has on his web page...They seem to be an excellent resource. Wish they had them on PDF....

Many Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
19,463 Posts
I think I have a lot of PPS parts. The best place to get them, by far, is on Ebay from people who buy parts from 'cut up' police captured guns. There are a few of those people who list fairly regularly on Ebay and GunBroker. Jack First is a great source for a critical part if you are in a hurry, but a new gun would be cheaper than buying most of the parts for something like a PPS (especially if you get a spare barrel and cylinder).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I will second the spare ejector rod knobs. I managed to lose one of them (and never could find it, even though I knew exactly where it fell), and even modern replacement knobs are not cheap. I got a replacement knob from Numrich which looked exactly like the original. I put a little Super Glue on the threads after that. Or you could use Loctite. I think the replacement hammer spring I got from Numrich was newly made, not original, but it has worked fine so far. Jack First is very proud of his parts, and they are priced accordingly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looking at Numrich, I see they have schematics, with parts list, for a buck and a half (99 cents with a parts order). Seems like a worthwhile buy since neither of mine have a schematic.

The had an original 6 inch barrel for the Officer Model 38 for $88.25, but no ejector rod knobs....

Probably best to get more familiar with the parts for now.....:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts