Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I bought an 1883 'etched panel' that had good bones except for the barrel, which had been cut down and had a winchester front sight dovetailed into it, and non original nickel plating. After discussing it with Bill Fuchs we decided that since I was going to shoot it, and wanted it back to its 'lettered' condition, that I would have him do a refinish rather than a complete restoration. Bill was kind enough to find me an original barrel that was in good shape, and he proceeded to strip the nickel plating and refinish it back to original. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to post the 'before' pictures from my google photos so I just have a pic of the old barrel. I was extremely happy with the results, and the old girl shoots real good. Enjoy the pics, and I apologize in advance for the poor quality. My photography skills leave a lot to be desired, and the pics don't do justice to Bill's excellent workmanship.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. He might. I have a couple if I could figure out how to transfer them from my 'google photos' to this thread. Me and technology don't get along too well.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Thanks. He might. I have a couple if I could figure out how to transfer them from my 'google photos' to this thread. Me and technology don't get along too well.
If you can bring those pics up on your desktop, just make a screen shot of them and post those. Or transfer them to an SD or micro SD card and upload them from that. Easy, right?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"How much did the barrel set you back?

Let's just say I thought it was a real fair price for an original in that condition. :>)

·
Registered
216 Posts
A few months ago I bought an 1883 'etched panel' that had good bones except for the barrel, which had been cut down and had a winchester front sight dovetailed into it, and non original nickel plating. After discussing it with Bill Fuchs we decided that since I was going to shoot it, and wanted it back to its 'lettered' condition, that I would have him do a refinish rather than a complete restoration. Bill was kind enough to find me an original barrel that was in good shape, and he proceeded to strip the nickel plating and refinish it back to original. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to post the 'before' pictures from my google photos so I just have a pic of the old barrel. I was extremely happy with the results, and the old girl shoots real good. Enjoy the pics, and I apologize in advance for the poor quality. My photography skills leave a lot to be desired, and the pics don't do justice to Bill's excellent workmanship.
Really nice job!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"If you can bring those pics up on your desktop, just make a screen shot of them and post those. Or transfer them to an SD or micro SD card and upload them from that. Easy, right?"

Thank you Sir. Here they are. Again, not very good pics..

Attachments

Reactions: WVCOLT

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
Are those the same grips?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Really nice job!"

Yes it is. Bill had to weld and recut the hammer notches, and he tuned it to perfection. It is a real pleasure to shoot with my homebrew (trailboss, Winchester brass, 200 grain RNFP, & CCI primers) cowboy loads.

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
Very nice to say the very least. Kudos to LAB on a most beautiful job. Thanks for sharing it with us to enjoy.

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,771 Posts
"How much did the barrel set you back?

Let's just say I thought it was a real fair price for an original in that condition. :>)
Those are hard to find so it stands to reason the cost would be up there.
The barrel is in great shape as far as the panel goes. Kudos to Bill for finding it for you.

That's a win/win... you climbed Everest twice and lived to tell the tale with that gun. 😄 😄

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"That's a win/win... you climbed Everest twice and lived to tell the tale with that gun."

Yes it was. Thank you. Now, I have the Colt I've always wanted, but was always a tad out of reach for me. In the last year I watched two that were restored get out of reach for me on GB. I've owned a lot of .45s, and several 32-20s, but a real nice color cased 'etched panel' was always my 'bucket list' Colt. When I hold this one I think about my childhood watching Hoppie, Roy, Gene, Joel, Randolph, Jimmy, Alan, Gary, and of course...the 'Duke'.

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
Thank you Gentlemen!

Steve’s FSS was a joy to work on.
I’ve seen a number of nickeled and re-nickeled SAA’s come in and typically the underlying metal is preserved wonderfully. Nickel is unforgiving because it reveals most problems like rust or pitting.

BisleySteve’s frame was darn near in “like new” condition under that layer of nickel.

I don’t take many before photos. I had in this case but must have deleted them.

Here’s one I found from his first posts months ago and a close up after I refinished it. I did re-bevel the cylinder as well.

Thank you all again. I’m humbled to have the opportunity to work on your SAA’s.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts