Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to work on an Indian Reservation in Montana, and had a chance to buy some guns from the tribal police when they were clearing out some old issue guns and evidence stuff. They sold revolvers for $120 bucks and automatics for $150, no matter what they were. I snagged a factory nickle S&W Model 15 and an S&W 6904 9mm before the frenzy subsided, and missed out on an old Model DS with Herrett grips, a Model 57 .41 magnum, and a Belgian Browning Hi-Power with a Browning 20 round magazine. The cop who used to carry the HP would leave the magazine in his jacket pocket until he got out of the car because it poked the seat! The rifles and shotguns were in a truck topper in a cop's yard, and I rooted through those and snagged a completely blue worn Savage 340 .30/30 and a Marlin bolt action .22 for twenty bucks each.

Once I came up with some more money, they told me all the guns were gone, except an old .22 that you "couldn't get shells for anymore". I asked what they wanted for it, hoping it wouldn't be another $120. The tribal cop said, "Is $20 too much?". I bought it sight unseen.

Turned out to be a Colt Police Positive Target in .22 WRF. Serial number is 34592, and it still has the original Colt checkered grips, with a nice chunk out of one. It was used in a shooting (Probably fatal, they barely paid attention to anything less) and had been languishing in the evidence locker ever since, except when some enterprising soul would try it out with some hardware store .22 LRs. The down side - the proud original owner carved not only his name, but his Social Security Number, on the butt and backstrap. The timing is a little off, the trigger return is a little slow, but it shoots (with the right ammo!). Its sitting in a shadow box right now, but I'm toying with the idea of a little restoration. Is there any collector interest in these?

(Also, if anyone can give me a clue about the Border Patrol New Service asked about in a previous post, please let fly. My time is running out!)

Thanks, this is a great forum.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
(Also, if anyone can give me a clue about the Border Patrol New Service asked about in a previous post, please let fly. My time is running out!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm lost, Border Patrol New Service makes no sense. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
909 Posts
Collector interest- as is, if you can link the owner's name as on the frame to a killing, you have a "blood gun" and there are people (with issues, IMHO) interested in such. Dfarriswheel commented on these some time back. As a restorable, sure. Target sights, small frame, obsolete caliber - just expect to stock up on ammo when you can find it ($$$). Could be an interesting project gun for someone if they could remove the name and SS numbers without altering the contours of the frame. Anyway, $20 well spent.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was surprised the ammo is still available. I found some on the shelf at the Scheel's store in Great Falls. This is a neat old gun, and I'll probably leave it just the way it is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
This is a neat old gun, and I'll probably leave it just the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given it's colorful history I'd do the same.

Great post BTW.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I resurrected this post because I figured out how to post pictures and wanted to show my $20 pistola. Hope its not bad form!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Neat story, good price. Looks like someone wore the checkering smooth on the grips from carrying it. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Dave

·
Administrator
7,043 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

I resurrected this post because I figured out how to post pictures and wanted to show my $20 pistola. Hope its not bad form!

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you did . How does it shoot ?

Did you buy the New Service Border Patrol ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never did get the Border Patrol New Service. I scared up enough money to make a decent downpayment, but when I went back to the shop it was gone. If I ever see another (ha!) I'll try to act a little more quickly. Story of my life....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts