Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now mind you, I'm not looking for Larry Potterfield perfect, I actually like imperfections in the rifle stock, they have character!

That said, the wood is smooth to the touch now, it wasn't before, and the stain the previous owner used was applied waaaaaaaaaaay too thick.

This is my 2nd refinish job. It is off a 99EG from 1940. I will post a full sized photo once I get a few more coats of "LinSpeed" oil on it.As pictured, it only has one coat so far.

This photo album is sequenced in 3 photos, the stock as it was when I purchased, the stock stripped, and the stock with 1 coat of Linspeed (more being applied, thinly)
https://sportsdad60.smugmug.com/Savage-99EG-stock-refinish/

For those that don't want to go through the 14 "Before, stripped, and after" pictures, I am embedding 3 "Before during and after" pictures.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir!

Alright. Finished after a week. I have a couple of coats of Renaissance wax on it and it looks like I didn't get it all off on the full profile "After" picture on the end of the butt stock, BUTT you get the picture. :)

Before

After

Before

After

Next project, .250-3000 after it's professsional stock repair! (I got the stock back today!)

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Very nice and flat! Good overall sheen. PO must have done the typical 70s Flecto Varathane 1/8" deep restaurant table treatment...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you gentlemen!
This one is linseed oil as it wont see any weather other than a covered Bench rest rifle club.

My next project will be Tung oil in a 1913 Savage 99 .250-3000. I plan to hunt deer with that one when we move to Montana in 14 months! This .300 Savage is a great all around (Deer/Elk) cartridge in the photos, grandfather cartridge to the .308.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Oh that .250 Savage is a great round! I have a dear friend whose 22 year old daughter pre-med student has really gotten into deer hunting. I gave her my Old Savage 99 in .250 at the beginning of the season. She loves it as her dad uses the same gun in .300. Classy rifles, and I love the work you did on yours. I have never refinished a stock but I have two Colt .22 rifles, a Colteer and a Stagecoach that could relay use it. I think you inspired me to give it a try, soon as I'm off these damn crutches.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes it is Coltguy! My next project, the .250-3000, was professional bored from a 22 Hi Power to .250-3000 way back in the 50's and it's a tacker. The rifle is in beautiful condition and it's tough to tell it's been refinished. Such a great job, almost Turnbull quality.
The stock was chipped on the bottom and it had a crappy butt plate that was not original to the rifel or the year 1913.
I sent it to the Tri-Cities, WA with a sacrificial 99 Savage stock to have it professionally repaired. I didn't have him refinished the repaired stock though, I wanted to do that part myself.
I will show pics of before, during and after in my next Stock thread.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
I have found that pure boiled linseed oil was very durable. I refinished an old model 12 with linseed oil years ago and after snow, briars, duck blinds etc. it still looks great. The process complete with whiskering is a time consuming project. I like that tang sight on that Savage as well. Congrats, Joseph

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3rd stock finished yet not waxed as I'm waiting on the 6 coats Tung oil to thoroughly dry. I tried to match it best I could with the forearm which was in excellent shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Gents! I am learning fast.
One more during the holiday break!
This is a 1962 Ruger .44 Carbine Deerstalker that I inherited with a compromised stock finish, thus the need to fix it.
This was finished with Lin-Speed and renaissance wax.
Did you know that the Ruger .44 Carbine was the grandfather to the Ruger 10/22?

Before and after.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Very nicely done. The grain pops with the finish you chose.

Reactions: Sportsdad60
1 - 17 of 17 Posts