Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another one I haven't seen in over 20 years. My Son-inlaw sent me pix of it & it's in his collection.

This is another of my early jobs, ca. 1982. I got it at Dallas gun show, Officer's Model or Army Special I don't recall. My Daughter was working on her masters degree in Denver & I decided she needed something for home protection, house she rented & shared with other students.

I couldn't give her anything ordinary so I did the TLC as seen below. The grips are hackberry wood, common here in Oklahoma. Nickel & gold plating home DIY.

Closer shot --

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's purdy. Do you recall how many hours it took to complete?
Too long ago to remember but from later work a guestimate of something like 50 hours: 4 hours rework barrel, 2 hours grip frame, 1 hour bob hammer, 6 hours make grips, 3 hours polish prep, 28 hours layout & engrave, 4 hours plating. Back then I put more detail in the engraving than I did later which could add maybe another 10-15 hours.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hackberry! I loathe hackberry! But, those stocks are wonderful! Who'd a' thunk it?!

Love reading about all the work that went into it. Nice to think that you did it for a most noble purpose, your daughter's protection. Might as well do it up right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts