Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a photo of my 40 year old Python, bought NIB in `65, and carried for 20 years. When I was forced, kicking and screaming, to transition to an auto, I had it re-blued. I know that 20 years of holster wear gave it character but I wanted it to look as close to new as usual:

It's got a set of Mustang grips but I still have the originals.

I paid $100 for it and had to pay it off in three months.

No.....it's not for sale, even though I could probably get a little more than my money back,

John

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm haveing a 2 1/2" Python reblued.Almost impossible to find one of the snubbies that hasn't been carried in a shoulder holster and some wear on the blueing.The guy does excellant work and loves to do Colts,especially Pythons,,,,,cost is $150.I also been checking on electroless nickel.The guy who did my 1911 20 years ago,I called him and he said he's been kicking around about getting back into doing it again.He has a coating shop and told me he had done my 1911 in bright electroless,,,I never knew it looked so good.So,,,I did a little bit of asking around American Airlines,,and the internet and found out that is the way to go.Less buildup,so it wont fill in any logo's or lettering.Just do a mirror polish on the gun and drop it in the solution (disassembled of course).The reason you don't have more people doing it in their garages,like you did 10 years ago is you have to have a class 3 license.
Joe

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Addicted,

It was done by a late friend of mine. Unfortunately, he passed away.

I had told him that I got nothing but the run-a-round when I called Colt. It was during their labor problems and Customer Service was a joke. He offered to do it and if I was not satisfied, there'd be no charge. Needless to say, when I saw the results, I paid him.

I have no idea how he did it. I frequented his shop, had been to his home, and the small shop next to the home, but I was never invied to the place where he did his re-finishing.Maybe there were OSHA regulations that he was concerned about.

He also nickled a Browning Buckmark for me and it, too, is beautiful.

He was a good friend and a real craftsman at his trade,

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts