Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 1940 vintage Remington Model 81 .300 Savage rifle has an excellent bore, is reblued over some pits, the wood is real good, the barrel moves back like it's supposed to, but at the moment the take down is frozen together where frame meets barrel. I'd have paid $50 for the tang sight alone. I took it off to put on my other Model 81 .300 Savage. The gun store/gunsmith owner said the gun works and wasn't sold as a parts gun.

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Man, I think I need to travel out to California and go gun buying. You and a great $50 rifle and monsai52 on another thread with a $300 1st generation. What the hell is going on out there?? :confused:

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So WB,

can you unfreeze whatever is frozen?

Will it function?

Congrats on the fine buy.
It's perfectly frunctional without take down. You can remove the forend with a dime, then there's a swiveling lever under the barrel that unscrews so you can separate barrel assembly fro the frame. I don't feel comfortable putting too much pressure on that lever. These are one of my all time favorite rifles. There are some out there that have been cut down to M1 Carbine length. Wouldn't this be a great candidate for that treatment. Here's one if I got the link correctly...
https://www.google.com/search?q=Remington+model+8&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gABrUpyBC8mbiQLelIH4Dw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=911#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=MElsMw8OhX_XCM%3A%3B7nmHTrEznD1FOM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi181.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fx82%252Fcat9x%252Fm8woodall-verschneidercarbinevsm1ca.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.go2gbo.com%252Fforums%252Fsemi-auto-and-pump-hunting-rifles%252Fmodern-remington-model-8-carbine%252F%3B1024%3B420

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I'd be thinking of a period-correct looking Folding Stock at that point! ( ie: converting one to a 'Carbine' Version ).

I have not found out yet whether the shortening still allows reliable cycles/function...and I will have to keep reading to find out.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw one at the LGS priced a little over $700 all original in 300 sav. maybe I should take another look? is that a good price? I would say the gun is in the high 90's% range, no rust on it.
My pics aren't that great but there is some bad pitting under the blue on the left side of the frame by the barrel connection. $700 is sometimes the asking prices for really pristine ones. In the late 90's shooter grade Model 8s and 81s were everywhere from $175 to $350. I saw one 81 converted to .308. I kept looking and bought an 81 Woodsmaster .300 Savage for $200. It's one of my favorite guns. Works great with honest wear. The wood on it is nothing compared to this one I just got. See...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
$50??????!!!!!!!!!!

You sick bastard!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

That's a crazy great deal on a super-cool rifle!

Lately I've been telling Twaits that he needs one of those as his official "new" deer rifle, either a Model 8 or 81 or the earlier version. Maybe I need one too!

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
$50??????!!!!!!!!!!

You sick bastard!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

That's a crazy great deal on a super-cool rifle!

Lately I've been telling Twaits that he needs one of those as his official "new" deer rifle, either a Model 8 or 81 or the earlier version. Maybe I need one too!
I just sold it to a guy in L.A. for $275 with full disclosure of the finish issues, but will take it to a town an hour away from me where he travels to because I hate shipping rifles. I kept the tang sight to sell separately and ask around $145. I saved a link of one just like it sold for $190 as an incentive. This same gunshop had that $300 Colt Officer's model just like Twaits that you shot so well. This was all very bizarre. It makes up for some real dumb trades I've made in the past that I choose to forget and too embarrassed to mention here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Model 81

I made the mistake of buying a Model 14 in 32 Remington. “Now you need a Model 8/81 to go with the Model 14” is what my friend that was with me said.

Once I saw a picture of the Remington Ray Gun (Model 8) I had to buy one. I found a clean Model 8 in 32 Remington. Both are neat guns and fun to shoot.

I love the quality of the early Remington products. Build to last several lifetimes if taken care of. Even a well worn Model 14 or 8 feels like quality in ones hands.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I made the mistake of buying a Model 14 in 32 Remington. “Now you need a Model 8/81 to go with the Model 14” is what my friend that was with me said.

Once I saw a picture of the Remington Ray Gun (Model 8) I had to buy one. I found a clean Model 8 in 32 Remington. Both are neat guns and fun to shoot.

I love the quality of the early Remington products. Build to last several lifetimes if taken care of. Even a well worn Model 14 or 8 feels like quality in ones hands.
I once rushed to a gunshop once I had the money to buy a model 14 in .30 rem. that was in I think original short barrel carbine form. It was gone.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hey, Wyatt? Just wondering. What with all the thousands of guns you own and the huge warehouse you must have to store them in, you probably need some old broke-dick-bored-to-death-with-babysitting-a-five-year-old-who-is-fixated-on-My-Little-Pony-stories guy with a permit to stand guard on all of your loot because your are such a fine understanding fellow and, in the spirit of the present political climate, would be more than happy to hire someone for just such a purpose and not think twice about footing the bill for insignificant stuff like Obamacare health insurance and a substantial 401K. The only real problems might be concealed carry reciprocity between Montana and the great state of California, which is very one-sided, and the fact that I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other but am a crack shot in the dark.
Nice rifle, by the way...but some day you may grow tired of collecting guns and find solace in social services such as Meals on Wheels and bathing the elderly.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't collect guns. I sell one to buy one, or in this case bought one to sell for profit. In fact I'm going to sell what few I own just to cover the $10,000 Ovomitcare deductible if I lose my current coverage like a certain liar said wouldn't happen.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Remington 81

Nice model 81 you picked up, cant go wrong with the price. I love old Remington's. I just picked up an 81 in .32 rem for $62.50..I took it home cleaned it and it shoots like a charm. They are such cool guns. It even came with a bunch of ammo. mine also has a missing sling swivel up front. was made June of 1940. What year was yours made?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.