Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Bought this many years ago and yet to get the letter for it.
I should because it is a rare .38 Colt with a serial number around 1912
It was in pieces when I got it
Someone thought they would bend the grip frame to make it look like a Bisley
I made a fixture to bend it back
You can see in the pictures that the grips are a little short now
I have shot the gun and it works just fine
Just thought I would share my story
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Revolver Shotgun Trigger
Gun Revolver Trigger

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
well that is a beauty...not as basket case at all...cant wait to see it getting finished too...thank u for sharing it...God Bless,John

·
Registered
552 Posts
Many years ago I had a BP frame .44-40 1st. generation that had also, like Acarby's, had the back strap and trigger guard modified to approx. Bisley proportions. I still have the grips that the modifier made, or had made, to fit the partial reincarnation. The grips were well done, but the rest of the gun needed help. The original barrel had been replaced by an eight" piece of what looked like an 11 m/m Mauser barrel. The new ejector rod was welded to the barrel! As if all that is not enough, the rear inch of the top strap had also been modified and there was evidence that some sort of new rear sight had once been soldered to it. I was still a teenager (A real long time ago!) but managed to heat and bend the back strap and guard back to what was very close to the original angles and bought a God awful set of plastic grips for it. But, here comes the good part. My father sent the abomination back to Colt, (I know parts and labor were cheap then, or Dad would never have done it!) and they fitted a new .44 Special cylinder and barrel,ejector rod and housing to it! The frame and original cylinder had no finish, but judging by what passes for "Antique Good" today, they weren't bad and had never been badly rusted and were really quite decent,..........if you didn't look at the top strap! The hammer was a more recent pre war one.

After receiving the gun back from Colt, the stark new blue parts really didn't help the appearance of the whole so they were soaked in lemon juice to remove the blue and then left bright. Not knowing very much about bore diameters verses calibers, I didn't realize that both .44's, the Special and the WCF. ones, used the same barrels, at least the modern ones did, so back on the gun went the original cylinder. I never shot the thing, and now have no idea what happened to it except back then I was a great old gun trader with other friends with the same interest, so that is probably where it went. Today? Someone out there has a rebuilt almost genuine Frontier Six Shooter and wonders who the hell the Bubba was, and why the hell he did what he did!

Oh to be back in "The Fabulous '50's" once again!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Very cool old .38 LC
I believe i would have to get that one lettered as well.
Do you still shoot this one? If so, how's it do on the range?
Thanks for sharing.

Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.