Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a list of my Colts and the year manufactured. The only one I not sure of is the New Police.
Is this a .32 Colt or .32S&W
New Police 32 1905 .32 Colt
Model 1903 1906 .32 auto
Pocket Positive 1910 .32 Colt
Army Special 1915 .38 S&W
Model N 1908 1919 .25 ACP
Police Positive .38 1929 .38 S&W
Challenger 1952 .22 LR
Sistema model 1927 1956 11.25mm
Official Police 1957 .38 special
Frontier Scout 1958 .22 LR
Peacemaker Buntline 1972 .22LR/.22 Mag
Derringer 1959-63 .22 short
1851 Navy .44 BP
1911 MKIV(Gov't Model).45 ACP
Cowboy .45 Long Colt
CZ40 B .40 cal
Trooper 1968 .357 Magnum

------------------
merc
Living without Liberty, is not Living

·
Registered
794 Posts
WAY TO GO MERC! And welcome to the Colt Club (Forum).

I'd say you have some pretty darn nice shootin irons there fella! Great diversity, mostly Prewar revolvers, mixed with some semi autos, a sprinkle of Single Actions, with just a hint of the modern. Top it all off with a bit of the Black Powder and wah-la, you have Colt Cake! Nothing sweeter! Very nice recipe indeed!

There is a whole group of guys here that really know their Prewar stuff. See if we can get them to add their 2 cents worth and this could end up a lively post. If you have the ability, you may want to post a picture of 1 or 2. Just to tease them into participation. That often generates responses.

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

·
Registered
16 Posts
merc,

That certainly is an impressive list of Colt handguns. I, too, collect Colt's, only they're all 1911A1 semi-autos, except for a 1st issue Cobra and a nickel 4" Python.

One of my interests in 1911A1 collecting is the so-called Hartford Colt, which is really Colt Model 1927 made in Hartford for the Argentine government under a contract for 10,000 of these models, which were produced and delivered in 1927 and 1928 with the Colt rollmark.

I mention this simply to point out that the Sistema model reflected on your list is in fact an Argentine built M1927 (1911A1) copy produced on Colt-supplied equipment, dies, jigs, etc. Colt also supplied Hartford supervision during the initial start-up period at the DGFM-FMAP Arsenal in Argentina. These guns had a DGFM-FMAP rollmark and were designated Model 1927 in 11.25mm, which of course is the metric equivilent of .45ACP.

I point out this information, not to cause any embarressment, but strictly to advise any unknowing forum members that the Sistema is not a Colt. I hasten to add, however, that its parts are built to Colt 1927/1911A1 specs and are completly interchangable with these models. And also to point out that there is a significient difference in the values of the Hartford 1927 Colt and the Argentine 1927 Sistema.

One final piece of information: Over the past 3-4 years, importers, such as JDL, have virtually flooded the pre-owned 1911A1 U.S. market with Sistemas and Ballister-Molinas originally built and subsequently surplused by the Argentine government. A comparitive lessor number of Hartford Colts have found their way back into this country, simply because approximately 200,000 of the Argentine models were built. The above
B-M models are not an exact copy of the 1911 design and only a very few parts are interchangable. The most obvious difference is that a B-M lacks a grip safety

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Best regards, Jack M.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow-that is interesting.
I had thought that the Sistema was a Colt built in Argentina.
Also the CZ40 was a joint venture with Colt and CZ. So I guess although it came in a Colt box it is truly not a Colt. I also read that they are no longer produced. Is this correct info?
How do I post pics?

------------------
merc
Living without Liberty, is not Living

·
Registered
16 Posts
merc,

The Sistema is a Colt copy licensed by Colt, built on Colt equipment shipped to Argentina. It does not display a Colt rollmark. I believe most of the production was from the thirties up until just before WWII, with a lessor amount after the war up through the fifties when the model was discontinued. The Roserio arsenal then designed and built many, many thousands of the Ballister-Molina model, which had somewhat different parts than the Sistema/Hartford Colt, and also did not have a grip safety.

I can't explain the Colt box. Are you sure it's the original? The box label should reflect a description and serial #, among other verifying data.

Some of the others will have to provide pic instructions. I've got a digital camera, but lack the right set-up for down-loading to my PC.

Best regards, Jack M.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What about one of these to add to the fire power?

[This message has been edited by imthduke (edited 09-11-2004).]

[This message has been edited by imthduke (edited 09-11-2004).]

·
Registered
711 Posts
IIRC, the CZ40 was basically a CZ-75 copy in .40S&W built by CZ BRNO and marketed by Colt. Ever since Jeff Cooper sung his praises about the CZ-75, everyone and his brother started making CZ-75 clones and Colt didn't want to be left out. Getting in on the hi-cap .40S&W market wouldn't have hurt either. It was packaged up in a Colt box, the owner's manual was contemporary to the Colt manuals of the time (early '90s I think???) and a Colt hang tag and accoutrements were included. They were finished in the famous CZ flat black paint (I think Dupli-Color still sells it at major auto parts stores
).

It didn't work out for Colt so only a few (I've heard around 1000?) were made. Certainly an atypical "Colt".

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 09-11-2004).]

·
Registered
383 Posts
I also collect Colts, maily from the twenties and thirties. I have a number of revolvers and automatics that I accumulated in the late fifties and sixties, many of which I could not afford to collect today. In my automatic group I have an Argentine - Colt clone, marked DRGM-FMAP and the crest. The fit and finish is akin to any Colt manufactured in that twenties-thirties era. Without any extra bells and whistles the accuracy is comparable to any 1911 - 1911A1 that I have shot with at Army matches. While these Argentines are not "Pure" Colts, they are certianly the most "affordable" and reliable 1911A1s on the market today....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts