Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, my friends, this has been a long time coming. The pre-war Detective Special is my favourite Colt model, and I've always loved the engraved examples I've seen, but I could never afford an original. So some time back, I set out on this passion project to create my own, striving to be as close to an original as I could get. And no engraved masterpiece is truly complete without a set of ivory grips to compliment it, so that became part of my goal as well.

It's been a couple of years in the making since then, and the project has finally come to a close. As well, later today, this little beauty will be going up for auction through our forum's own Lumberjack. I don't want to shill my own sale, but I wanted to share it with you guys first myself before it finds itself off to a new home. While I am genuinely sad it let it go so soon, I have absolutely enjoyed the process and am incredibly happy with the end product. I'm excited to send it off to someone who appreciates it as much as I do and all of the work I put into it. :)

As a newbie, all of this was a learning process for me, so I want to say thank you to everyone who helped me along the way to find the resources, materials, and information I needed. Specifically, I wanted to thank Rick Bowles, Cozmo, and thecoltguy. You guys have been wonderful.

Enjoy the photos! Courtesy of Lumberjack. (Sorry, I know there is a lot of them, but there's a lot to see.)

Some keynotes:
  • Engraved by John Adams Sr. in the style of Wilbur Glahn from the 1930's.
  • Finished by Turnbull in charcoal blue, as close to the pre-war finish as I could get.
  • Ivory grips crafted by Paul Persinger in the factory style of the 1930's, including genuine, period correct medallions, screw, and escutcheons.
  • Original walnut grips refurbished by Jimmy Solomon, to bring them up to speed with the rest of the revolver's new looks.
Material property Font Audio equipment Camera Cameras & optics
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory
Grey Rectangle Trigger Wood Gun accessory
Revolver Black Rectangle Gun accessory Trigger
Revolver Grey Trigger Wood Gun barrel
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Eyewear
Bicycle part Fashion accessory Font Metal Titanium

· Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Wow !! That’s one fine looking DS. And may I say very tastefully done. Thanks for sharing your beautiful Colt with us all. 👍👍

· Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much for the compliments everyone! I really appreciate the input and am ecstatic to be able to share it with you all. After everything I poured into this project, it means a lot to hear such good input. :)

· Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
WOW nice job......sorry to see you sell it too after all the effort to do it right.
Sorry to see you selling it after all the time, money and effort put into it.
Thank you for the consolations. That part is still a challenge, as I am sad to see it go, especially with how well it turned out after the effort I put into all of the details. But it's okay! I put a lot of thought into it, and that's just where life has me at the moment.

On a happy note, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to recoup the money I've put into the project over the last couple of years, and I still thoroughly enjoyed the process and learned a lot! So there's no heavy loss. Plus, I find it a high honour to have been able to create something that will likely be revered by an esteemed collector. Even if I don't keep it for myself, that's what makes all the effort worth it.

· Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It turned out just fantastic, looks like one from the 1930s. Great job Keith and sorry your not keeping it as I know you love them.

Cam.
That's high praise coming from you, Cam! Thank you. Really happy to hear you agree with the outcome. You've been a big help along the way.

Also, I appreciate the solace. You know me well. While it is unfortunate that I'm not going to keep it, I did get to enjoy it for a little while before sharing it here. And I am actually considering the possibility of doing another down the road. After everything I've learned, I'm now familiar with the process, know what mistakes I made, and what improvements I could make. It would be bit of a commitment again, but I'm pretty sure I could have another equally nice (if not nicer) 1930's era engraved Detective Special done, while saving both money and time. The only downside is it would be hard to rival how well this one turned out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.