Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took an OK picture of this one so thought I'd post it here again. This was my dad's favorite gun from 1964 to 2008 when it unfortunately became mine. It's a scarce pre 64 one year production 1963 Winchester Model 88 in .284 Winchester. A great yet ignored and failed caliber ahead of it's time. That extra magazine is a 10 round aftermarket Colyer clip. Probably real hard to find in .284. My dad traded a Remington .30-06 semi-auto straight across for it in '64.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Very nice rifle! I love 88 Winchesters. The smoothest levergun I’ve personally ever handled. That’s a desirable one! Looks like it’s got an old Weaver on it too. My Dad likes those also. Did your Dad add the recoil pad or already like that when he traded? Many 88s have that exact pad.

My Dad’s favorite rifle is a Browning BBR in 7 mag (another .284 caliber:)). He’s took a many a Bull Elk in Montana and Colorado with it. When I was a late teenager, I took it deer hunting one day. Backside of our land was a steep slope with rocks. I just knew there was a deer on other side. Instead of taking long way around I headed straight up. About halfway up, I had rifle in my hands instead of shoulder. I lost my footing and threw my hands down without thinking to catch myself. The rifle hit a rock and broke a small chunk out of stock. He wasn’t too happy but not too mad either. There was no deer other side lol. Of course with the loud thump I made, he’d been gone anyway.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Dad's guns are the most important ones.
Yes they sure are! Dad wasn't a gun guy but his favorite Texas Whitetail rifle was a .243 Remington Model 700 ADL with a Leupold 4x scope. I still have it in the safe. It hasn't been fired in years...may need to remedy that this weekend.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't see that everyday! How does she shoot?
I can't remember. But I have a lot of ammo including my dad's handloads and about two lifetimes worth of once fired brass. His 2nd favorite gun was this Husqvarna Husky H-5000 Featherweight in 7MM Mag. This beautiful light little rifle kicks a little.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts